Using RGB pass-thru on your player? - please look in.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by T_Strife, Feb 20, 2002.

1. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an annoying problem using RGB pass-thru on my Pioneer 545 player. It refuses to switch my TV to the correct aspect ratio when there is a device plugged into its 2nd scart socket.

My setup is wired as follows-

Digibox ---- Tivo ----- 545 ------ TV AV1 (RGB).

If i turn off the Tivo so the 545 has no input on its 2nd scart then switching works fine.
    If i leave it on then the 545 outputs whatever aspect ratio its receiving on the 2nd scart!!

example - watching channel 5 broadcasting a 4:3 programme....fire up the 545 with a 16:9 dvd in and it will come on screen BUT stay as 4:3.
    Watch the DVD for a while and eventually it will switch to 16:9 - this coincides with the widescreen adverts on channel 5.....BLOODY WEIRD!

Before i added the Tivo i used to kill the power to the digibox (x10 - pronto macro) so i've never noticed this before.

Of course i could just set the correct a/r when i watch a dvd but i can't be arsed and why should i have to? Surely all 2 scart dvd players don't have this problem.

If anyone else is using RGB pass-thru on their dvd player (with the digibox into 2nd scart and switched on) can confirm they do/don't suffer from this i'd really appreciate it.
    Ta.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Digibox into second scart on 545 = no problems

I don't have a TIVO though and maybe that is the difference although I don't know why.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digibox > 2nd scart 636 no probs..... also have NTL digibox in to 2nd scart of sky digibox all switch fine and to correct ratio.

4. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the swift reply Ian.
    Glad to hear yours doesn't suffer the same way.

I remember before the Tivo was added that i had this problem with just the digibox into 545's 2nd scart.

My digibox is a Pace 735 (itvdigital) although i think it is irrelevent what device is plugged in as it shouldn't be passing pin8 or line23 switching from 2nd scart thru when the player is in use.

My 545 was purchased from Home Cinema Heaven in October last year with the Excel Selectable mod which also disables macrovision. I'm wondering whether this is a hardware or firmware fault?

5. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bob007 - thanks also.
    I'll query the retailer about my problems and see what they suggest.

6. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE

I've now realised that this problem only happens when spinning an NTSC disc.

With PAL it switches the tv correctly no matter what is plugged into players AV2 and switched on or off.

With NTSC it will only switch it correctly IF there is nothing plugged into the players AV2 (or if whatever is plugged into it is switched off).

Ian, Bob, anyone...did you try it with an ntsc disc? Your help would be really appreciated again!!

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Just checked again and my 545 also will not switch to widescreen on Region 1.

I hadn't noticed this before and just put it down to a switching fault in the occasional disc.

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just gone down and tried it, and it switches fine no problems, tried it with SKY on and off which is connected to AV2 on the DVD player. I think the 636 must be configured differently with this AV connection (RGB loop).

9. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bladdy ell you guys were quick!! Top stuff - thanks.

Unfortunately its looking like a dodgy feature of the 545 :(

Bob007 - I presume when you tried it with your digibox switched on that you had it tuned to a 4:3 channel so your tv actually changed aspect when fed a 16:9 ntsc dvd?

Ian J - Does your 545 switch ntsc discs when your digibox is turned off?

Sorry for all the questions but i really need to be certain what is at fault here.
    Thanks again.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    OK checked with Region 1 disc.

When Digibox is off the DVD will automatically switch to the correct aspect ratio.

When Digibox is on the DVD stays in whatever aspect ratio the TV was in prior.

Hopefully Doubledoom will come along and explain why.

11. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian.
    FYI: I checked the pin8 voltages from the players scart whilst starting an ntsc disc. There was no difference between having the digibox off (which as we know enables correct switching) or on.
    So it seems with ntsc discs that the player refuses to send the line-21 ntsc switch when AV2 is receiving a signal. And in my case at least passes the a/r switch from my digibox-AV2 out of AV1.

Its bloody frustating :(

12. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the TV set to 4x3 and the digibox on/off, inserted NTSC disc and it switches to correct ratio.
    I have NTL digibox on the daisy chain aswell, even with that on it still switches over with no problems. ....bob

13. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Bob.
    Glad to see your 636 behaves itself. I'm a bit gutted that my player won't switch properly, rgb pass-thru was one of my main reasons for purchase and i think its reasonable to expect it to work correctly, or am i being picky?

14. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By what Ian has said about his 545 it looks as if the 636 is designed differently, the 545 seems to be able to switch when the component connected to the AV2 is switched off but not when it is on, which is a bit of a bummer. Have you tried moving the components round in a different sequence in the chain, that may help.

15. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bob. I can't move the order of components around cos i wouldn't be able to record on the tivo whilst watching a dvd...in RGB anyway :(

Also given the fact that Ian's tv is a jvc and his digibox is sky (i think) whilst i'm using a sony tv & itvdigital box/tivo i really believe that all 545's will exhibit this behaviour and its not just a spurious incompatibility problem.

I tried - itvdigibox/tivo/telewest/jvc-vcr/tosh-sd100 all individually into AV2 and ntsc always refused to switch.

16. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you really need this function how about the Pioneer 646 at just under £300.............. or is it just an inconvenience and not worth an upgrade.

17. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah but how can we be sure the 646 does not behave the same way :eek:

Having to remember to switch tv wide when watching r1 is a minor inconvenience BUT if i choose to watch a film when the digibox is outputting a widescreen picture i might forget and sods law dictates that during the best part of the flick my picture will suddenly shrink as digibox goes to 4:3.......arse!

I dunno what to do really......

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As you say, it is only a minor inconvenience and probably not worth wasting more money to cure.

All in all the 545 is a good little player and I hadn't even noticed the connection but there you may watch more DVDs than I do.

I only watch a couple per week as I am away quite a bit.

19. T_Strife

T_Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, Bob just wanted to say thanks again for your help. It was invaluable.

Will be keeping the player for now....although i am scanning the 2nd hand market for possible bargains :D