Using removable wallpaper as projector screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dewy, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Dewy

Dewy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone tried to find and use removable wall paper as a projector screen? I live in an apartment so painting the wall will be a hassle when I move.

I was thinking of either finding a smooth, white (vinyl?) wallpaper and seeing how it projects. If it isn't up to par then I can paint on top of it with some of the preferred paints people use for projector screens.

I understand one of the easiest DIY projector screens is to get the Doable Board (available at home depot on the west coast). My issue is that it only comes in 4' x 8'. I would like a bigger screen (bigger is better am I right ladies? ha) . If all else fails I will go to this method. A 100" diagonal screen with the doable is not the end of the world.

Let me know your thoughts!

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,468
    I would have thought painting the wall would be easier than trying to paper it, and you'll probably have to paint the new wallpaper anyway to get an even colour. Removing the paper may cause you more problems than you think.

Can't you paint the wall, and then repaint it back to the original colour when you move?

What colour is the existing wall?

3. Dewy

Dewy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wall is white but textured. If I paint it, I would have to sand it. I was thinking the wall paper would be less textured and easier to paint flat. Is it a hassle to retexture and paint the wall?

Some of the removable wall papers sound easy to remove. I have no experience with them though.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,468
    Have you tried projecting straight onto the wall as it is? It may look better than you think. Then all you may need to do is paint it matt white, and repaint it when you leave.

I think removable wallpapers leave a lining paper behind, so may need scraping to get off completely (or steaming maybe).

A pull down screen only needs a couple of fixings into the wall or ceiling, and the holes can be filled and painted after removal. Would you consider doing that?

Gary.

5. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    There's some good pull-up screens around for not much money