1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Reclock with VMR Renderless

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Mar 7, 2005.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There's an interesting short thread on TheaterTek's forum about a setting you need to use (or not use as it turns out) if you're using VMR renderless mode and Reclock .. it doesn't seem to be specific to TT.

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    You can use Reclock Vsync with VMR9 renderless - I cant tell the difference tbh. I had to use Reclock from the outset with VMR9 renderless.

Directdraw or D3D - there is no choice, Reclock will only work with VMR9 renderless if you choose Directdraw.

3. Ar-Jar

Ar-Jar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been tweaking with this quite a bit and haven't been able to get Reclock to work with VMR9 with it's own standard renderer. Are you saying that there are applications that provide their own renderers and with a choice of Direct3D methods or DirectDraw methods? And that Reclock doesn't work with Direct3D methods?

Any ideas as to why this is so? I have written my own presenter-allocator for the VMR9 using texture mapping (Direct3D) and it only seems to work well with certain backbuffer sizes (unfortunately not including e.g. 720p fullscreen).

Arto

4. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What version of reclock are you trying? I couldn't get 1.3 to work at all with TT2.1 and VMR9 renderless. Upgraded to v1.4 and it works fine, stutter free with no problems.

system is a modest Athlon xp2800+, 512 ram, FX5700 Ultra card and with FFDSHOW resize 2x lanczos 2 luma sharpen 1.5 I have 70-75% cpu usage.

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Im using Reclock 1.5beta8 without issues on Media Portal, MCE and TT2 all using VMR9 Renderless.

6. Ar-Jar

Ar-Jar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried both 1.4 and a later beta. My question is really what type of rendering / presenting the "renderless" (weird term, it's not "renderless"; the application is providing it's own renderer) VMR9 that works is using. My problem is that there's no way I can get Direct3D-based rendering to work. I've tried the plain vanilla VMR9 (not "renderless") which I believe uses Direct3D texture mapping, I've tried my own home-cooked rendring component using Direct3D texture mapping and made all kinds of timing experiments. I've also tried a Direct3D "stretchrect" based rendering. I get stutter! Reclock works fine with old overlay renderer on my machine (3.2 GHz, 6600 GT). Right now I'm hacking away on a DirectDraw based presenter. We'll see if it behaves better. Just wanted to know if you have any input on the performance of the various graphics APIs. Thanks!

Arto

7. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    As I previously stated Reclock will only work with VMR9 Renderless if you tick the Directdraw box and force the renderer as preferred. This is with MCE & MP.

However, using TT2 you don't have to do any of this. You can untick preferred renderer and leave as D3D and TT will kick it in. So thats what I use now.

8. Ar-Jar

Ar-Jar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so maybe the people behind TT have found the secret behind judder-free rendering wth D3D. Using D3D you can still do it in many ways. I'll check out this TT that I'm reading so much about. Thanks!

Arto