• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using Public WiFi

plainmad

Just how unsafe is using public WiFi?

The reason I ask is work have recently installed free WiFi which I'd much rather use on my phone then being on my slow 3g connection and using my allowance up.

Initially i though that I'm not going to be using it for banking, shopping etc so I couldn't really care if people can see what I'm looking at. But then it occurred to me that my android phone is constantly syncing in the background like emails etc and I wouldn't want people to see that.

So should I be looking at setting a VPN server up or am I just being over the top.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You're being "over the top"
Any unsavoury, technically savvy smart-alec looking to exploit short-comings would be looking to hack banking and/or credit card use, they wouldn't be interested in or spend time reading your emails.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom