Using PS3 to store lots of mp3s - navigation is a nightmare??

qwert-e

I've loaded my mp3 collection onto my ps3, about 5000 tracks. Now, its stupidly difficult to navigate to the song i want to play. Am i missing somthing obvious???

No matter how i group the tracks (by album, by artist etc) i get a long alphabetical list to scroll down. It takes about a minute to scroll all the way through the list, and its impossible to see where you are when scrolling as it only loads the file name once you stop scrolling. I've had to delete my music off my PS3 since this makes it usuable. anyone else find this?

a few basic ways to improve this:
1)Implement a 'search' function so you can type in a few letters of the track to find it - like the ipod.
2) Allow USB Keyboard navigation

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I've loaded my mp3 collection onto my ps3, about 5000 tracks. Now, its stupidly difficult to navigate to the song i want to play. Am i missing somthing obvious???

No matter how i group the tracks (by album, by artist etc) i get a long alphabetical list to scroll down. It takes about a minute to scroll all the way through the list, and its impossible to see where you are when scrolling as it only loads the file name once you stop scrolling. I've had to delete my music off my PS3 since this makes it usuable. anyone else find this?

a few basic ways to improve this:
1)Implement a 'search' function so you can type in a few letters of the track to find it - like the ipod.
2) Allow USB Keyboard navigation

an even better way to improve it is to stream it form a PC/NAS ;)

qwert-e

i haven't really looked into that, but there's plenty of people that dont want to stream media. The point of having a hard disk is so it can be used as a stand alone machine.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
i haven't really looked into that, but there's plenty of people that dont want to stream media. The point of having a hard disk is so it can be used as a stand alone machine.

I Couldn't agree more but until Sony add some real ID3 Tag/Folder organisation streaming is the only way you will get the functionality you are asking for.

yaruar

Novice Member
this is my biggest gripe about the ps3, the media functionality is dire, i've got 900 albums worth of mp3's on mine and it's terrible trying to find anything. Not having multiple levels of granualuity doesn't help, if i group by artist, why can't i group by album as a sub group. why have the list linier, why not create a proper media interface rather than the simple drop down list. You'd think sony selling it as a media center would actually put a decent media center overlay on the software.

steve69bez

Thats what annoyed me with the new firmware update, rather than concentrate on the updates that would make our lives easier they put a pointless gallery programme on the photo section thats no better than what it was previously, I appreciate sony updating the system but the Music section should have been sorted out a long time ago, I have 10,000 songs and its a nightmare just trying to find a song that you might want to listen to, Ijust hope that Sony dont make a programme for music like that one for the Photo section as I like to browse the internet whilst listening to my music

qwert-e

i've resorted to plugging my mp3 player straight into my amplifier, the advantage being i dont have to turn on my ps3 and tv every time i want to listen to a song. it also means i dont have to keep the my ps3 mp3 collection in sync, somthing else sony havent made particularly easy!

super-saint

Gotta agree with all comments...seeing that one of Sony's main selling points of the PS3 is it's media centre capability, you would have thought it would get it's act together :mad:

My 3 year old daughter could have made a better job of designing the way the PS3 sorts Mp3's...why no ******* file structure ????

& the way the PS3 buffers tracks whilst streaming causing large gaps is pathetic :mad:

qwert-e

on the plus side, watching the 'earth' screensaver on my 100" projector screen is absolutely kick ass, I could sit watching that thing for hours :thumbsup:

pavr27

I have over the years tried several different 'networked media players/streamers' - all with their annoying limitations.

I find the PS3 is an excellent multimedia player (my particular emphasis being on playing mp3's) - simple little things like being able to browse for your next track whilst playing a track, gapless play, responsive GUI, etc, etc make it so much better than other devices.

HOWEVER, I have to agree with the OP, and others in this thread - the PS3 media library is shockingly poor - especially when you have several hundred/thousand media files stored on the PS3.

PLEASE PLEASE Sony, implement a better way of organising and navigating media on the PS3!! Even being able to group content by groups of letters (ie A-D, E-H, etc) would improve navigation.

:lease::lease::lease:

Grr Argh

The PS3 is indeed a fantastic media centre, but it isn't usable to store large amounts of music. I get around it by using a media server, but having upgraded my hard drive it'd be nice to cut out that step.

An update from Sony in this regard would be about the best thing ever tbh.

pavr27

The PS3 is indeed a fantastic media centre, but it isn't usable to store large amounts of music. I get around it by using a media server, but having upgraded my hard drive it'd be nice to cut out that step.

An update from Sony in this regard would be about the best thing ever tbh.

I too have just replaced my HDD to 250GB) and that's why I'm moaning.....cos I no longer want to use my NAS drive. It works better when the music is stored on the PS3

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is a priority for Sony......

tubal81

Novice Member
They do seem to have improved the file structure for photos with the update. I haven't bothered downloading the gallery software but I have found that when I copy a photo folder from my external HDD to the PS3s HDD it copies it perfectly. Previously it would just dump all the photos in a big list and if you wanted to separate them you had the tedious task of putting them in albums. Now I can have a few thousand photos arranged just like they are on my PC without having to stream them.

I hope they are working on sorting this out for music and video. If they do I'm going to need a bigger HDD!

pavr27

I havent found a way to browse other tracks while an MP3 is playing. How do I do this??

By pressing the PS button to bring up the XMB

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom