1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using pre outs ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ianlecompte, Sep 23, 2003.

1. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i,m currently using a rather crap a.v amp for movies and a good amp for stereo use,i,m aware that i could power the fronts of the stereo amp via pre out connectors but unfortunatley dont have these on the a.v amp.is there any other connectors i could use.looking at the amp the only thing that seems likely is video 1 out,would this work ?.i,m pretty sure this would,nt but would be glad of any advice.sorry it all sounds basic,my knowledge is very limited,i,m new to this game.i would like to add that the info and advice i have seen here is top rate,everyone is so helpful,makes a change to all the to**ers you normally come across in life.thanks again.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That output (stereo phono output) ould be line level (full gain), and downmixed all of the channels to stereo. And even if you did use this output- not only would you need to adjust the stereo integrated amp, but also the AV amp. And at any other given volume they'll be out. So if you adjust the AV amp say quarter of a turn the stereo integrated amp will be out.

Major pain. I would replace the AV amp, and use the left/right pre-outs into your stereo integrated amp.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From Pm- but the output from the stereo phono outputs will not be the left & right ONLY channels- it'll also have the centre, rears & subwoofer information into the signal as well. It'll sound awful. Not only will you have this 5.1 downmix outputting on the left/rights but also the correct audio going to the other speakers (centre, rears, subwoofer). It'll be a mess.

Regarding volume control- but your system will be out of calibration as soon as you adjust either AV amp and the stereo integrated amp!

with a AV amp with pre-outs and a stereo integrated amp you'll either (depending on the stereo integrated amp)

1) Stereo amp with Processor input- send Left & Right Pre-outs from the AV amp to the stereo amp processor input. Switch over to this input and calibrate with the AV amp's own test-tones. The stereo amp's volume control (pre-amp is bypassed) flick over to processor switch when using the AV system- AV amp controls all channels (master volume) , and flick over to integrated mode (volume is operational)

2) Stereo amp without processor input-send Left & Right Pre-outs from the AV amp to the stereo amp line level input (ie CD). Switch over to this input and calibrate with the AV amp's own test-tones. Increase the stereo integrated amp's volume until it matches the other channels (Centre, rears, subwoofer) AV amp controls all channels (master volume). Use a sticker to mark where it matches to the AV Amp.

1) is the best option as you only need to adjust one volume control- you never need to adjust the stereo integrated amp to the AV amp. Also it'll offer the best sound quality as it won't be going through another pre-amp (as in number 2).

With number 2 you'll need to reduce the stereo integrated amp's volume after watching a DVD (normally to match it will be about half-way (loud) forget and you'll invert your cones.

Look here for more info on using stereo integrated amp in a AV system...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67806&highlight=8000s

4. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not try offloading the mentioned "crap av amp" to a bloke down the pub, and get yourself a Yamaha DSPE 800 processor. All you have to do is run a pair of RCA leads from the Yamaha to a spare input of your "good stereo amp", say AUX or TAPE.
    The Yamaha decodes DD and DTS but only has amplification for the centre and surround channels (plus out-put for subwoofer), and uses a PRE-OUT for connection to a stereo amp of your choice.This will then allow you to use the stereo amp for playing say CD or radio without going thru the AV system, the when you want to watch a movie, switch stereo amp to AUX (or whatever in-put the Yam is connected to) set the vol on stereo amp to match Yam out put (as nathan_silly said) and there you go.
    Try this link:- http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_5949.html

Good luck.

TTFN

5. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thanks graham i will check this out.

6. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to be of help,

I've read reviews of the Yamaha and they've had nothing but praise for it. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Best of luck.