Using Pre-outs on avr-x3700h can they be configured independently?

Tony_Mac

Standard Member
HI

thinking about getting an AVR-X3700 but would like to use a couple integrateds (that support HT mode) for the front and surround, leaving Denon to power centre and backs only. (I'll be running 7 speakers only, no subs or height). Do you know if you can select which speakers are powered from the AVR and which are offloaded via the pre-outs? I had a look at the manual and it wasn't clear, it almost inferred that either all speakers were powered by the AVR or they were all sent to power amps. I would think that you could setup whatever config you wanted, ie control the routing of each pair independently. Let me know if that makes sense!

Thanks

Tony

dante01

Distinguished Member
All the pre outs are live regardless of the amp assignments. Simply connect the power amps to the relevant pre outs and the associated speakers to the power amps prior to running the calibration.

You do not need to set the receiver up to use the pre outs and the pre outs are always live. The only time you need to reassign anything if if using the receiver's own internal amplification for purposes they were not originally intended to be used for by default.

Last edited:

gibbsy

It's only worth getting a stereo amp with HT by-pass if you intend to route all music sources exclusively through it virtually making two separate set ups for film and music. If music is of no interest then a single power amp would fulfill your needs and at a much cheaper price point.

Tony_Mac

Standard Member
Thanks Dante01 that's good to know and means i've got options. I am very much a music first movies second type, so want to retain the music fidelity I have today via my Arcam Integrated and Rega floorstanders (the Arcam 8r has a "processor mode" to support linking up with an AVR). It's frustrating that you have to spend so much just to get pre-outs on an AVR, since ironically the AV processors with pre-outs tend to have better power amps.

Another question on this, if I have the Arcam running the fronts via the pre-outs and a centre speaker running from the Denon, for the majority of news and tv shows would I even need the Arcam to be running? Thinking of other members of the family who would probably forget to switch on the Arcam. Clearly for movies and "serious watching" you'd want everything on but wondering if a centre speaker could cover off "day to day" TV. I'm trying to keep the user interface as easy as possible.

gibbsy

Another question on this, if I have the Arcam running the fronts via the pre-outs and a centre speaker running from the Denon, for the majority of news and tv shows would I even need the Arcam to be running? Thinking of other members of the family who would probably forget to switch on the Arcam. Clearly for movies and "serious watching" you'd want everything on but wondering if a centre speaker could cover off "day to day" TV. I'm trying to keep the user interface as easy as possible.
The Denon is processing the audio and if the TV broadcast is in 5.1 then you would only get that centre channel playing as well as those other channels connected to the Denon. A couple of times I've forgotten to turn on my Rega to drive the fronts and it really does sound odd. Even the upmixing modes would sound odd and you can't downmix to stereo as you wouldn't get any audio at all. In a set up like both you and I have it's all or nothing or just the TV's speakers.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I've just left my amp for the front channels on. I figure it's not working too hard if there's no signal.
The issue is that even if there is no speaker load, on bench tests, there has been noise produced by the unused internal power amps that has bled back into the pre- amps, and thus out to the external power amps.

Tony_Mac

Standard Member
happy to report my two integrated amps are working just fine with the newly setup AVR, fronts and backs running off 2 x Arcam 8R amps, with surround running off the Denon

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom