Using pre-outs for multi room.

narcoticsuite

Standard Member
I'm planning on getting a new receiver and want to know if I'll be able to use the FR and FL pre-outs to take the signal into a second room where it will be amplified by a stereo integrated amp.

As they are pre-outs, and therefore intended to be amplified by a power amp rather than an integrated amp, will this be a problem? I ask as I've tried it with my current receiver (an ageing Sherwood), and all i get is a loud hum. There's nothing wrong with the interconnect I'm using between the rooms and the amp and speakers in the other room are fine - I've checked them by connecting directly to a CD player and it's fine, it just goes wrong when I try and use the receiver's pre-outs. I'm thinking it's just my receiver which is faulty.

Before I shell out on a new receiver I'd like to know if I can use the pre-outs for this purpose or if I'd need a receiver with dedicated zone 2 outputs.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
hmm...should be ok, plenty of people use the pre-outs on AV amps to stereo amps so their main stereo speakers have better quality with music.....

you just have to work out the right volume level....

unless you shouldnt have speakers wired in to the AV amps speaker outputs at the same time......but i wouldnt have thought that would matter as you use the pre-outs to biamp, and altho there isnt a volume control on the power amp i cant see that making a difference.....i might be wrong on this tho..lol

well, failing that you need a zone 2 amp, altho be aware most wont let you use a digital source for the second zone, only analogue inputs.....possibly some more expensive modern ones allow it, i wouldnt like to say....

narcoticsuite

Standard Member
Knyght_byte said:
hmm...should be ok, plenty of people use the pre-outs on AV amps to stereo amps so their main stereo speakers have better quality with music.....

you just have to work out the right volume level....

unless you shouldnt have speakers wired in to the AV amps speaker outputs at the same time......but i wouldnt have thought that would matter as you use the pre-outs to biamp, and altho there isnt a volume control on the power amp i cant see that making a difference.....i might be wrong on this tho..lol

well, failing that you need a zone 2 amp, altho be aware most wont let you use a digital source for the second zone, only analogue inputs.....possibly some more expensive modern ones allow it, i wouldnt like to say....

Thanks, i only intend to use it for analogue sources. I was just worried about taking a pre-out into a pre-amp stage rather than a power amp stage. I thought maybe that's what was leading to the humming i was experiencing when using the pre-out on the sherwood, although it could just be knackered.

Anyone else able to give a view?

clockworks

Novice Member
The pre-outs should supply a signal at roughly the same level as a normal source component. You can connect the pre-outs to either the line-in on an integrated amp (tape/CD/aux), or the inputs on a power amp.

Bear in mind that you'll need to set the receiver to stereo mode (if you are using the left and right pre-outs) to get the remote amp to work properly.

If all you are getting is a loud hum, either the pre-outs aren't working (do you have to enable them in the receiver's setup?), you are using the wrong input on your amp, or you have a serious ground loop problem.
Have you tried connecting the CD player to the remote amp, with the CDP in the room where the receiver is, and connected to the same mains outlet as the receiver?

narcoticsuite

Standard Member
clockworks said:
The pre-outs should supply a signal at roughly the same level as a normal source component. You can connect the pre-outs to either the line-in on an integrated amp (tape/CD/aux), or the inputs on a power amp.[/QUOTE}

Bear in mind that you'll need to set the receiver to stereo mode (if you are using the left and right pre-outs) to get the remote amp to work properly.

If all you are getting is a loud hum, either the pre-outs aren't working (do you have to enable them in the receiver's setup?), you are using the wrong input on your amp, or you have a serious ground loop problem.
Have you tried connecting the CD player to the remote amp, with the CDP in the room where the receiver is, and connected to the same mains outlet as the receiver?

Thanks.

The receiver is set to stereo, not sure if i need to enable the pre-outs though, will look into that. I have tested this by connecting directly to the CDP which is in the same room as the receiver and connected to the same power source and it works fine. The humming only occurs when i connect the interconnect to the FR and FL pre-outs on the receiver. The sub pre-out works fine.

I'm getting a new receiver anyway so not too worried if the sherwwod is knackered, just wanted to make sure that a pre-out could be safely used to connect to an integrated amp. It seems they can so that's good.

Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom