Using PLIIz or Neo6 when input in "Multi Channel In"

Daniel989

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Long time reader, first-time poster.

Looking for advice on how to force my AV receiver to use Dolby PLIIz or Neo6 for a source which shows up as 'Multi Channel In', to make the surround work.

My receiver (Marantz NR1504) can detect Dolby Digital correctly for a different source (e.g. Play Station 4, Netflix, using bitstream over HDMI) and all 5 speakers work well for that source.

But a different source (streamed TV programs played by ITV Hub, on a Netgem Netbox HD, using HDMI) is often detected by the amp as 'multi-channel in' and this shows on the front display. The amp says that all 5 channels are active and all 5 speakers are used, but sound only comes from the front speakers; I assume this is because the source material is only 'multi channel in' but actually stereo.

The problem is that the receiver will not allow me to pick PLIIz or Neo6. It means the centre speaker never outputs anything. It seems odd to me that the amp says that all 5 channels are active.
Strangely, during the advert breaks, I can select these processing modes.

How can I, or why can't I, select those modes please?

Thanks in advance

TL;DR:
Netgem Netbox --> Marantz NR15o4 only plays 'multi-channel in' with front speakers and I cannot select PLIIz or Neo6.

Thanks Jase, much obliged.

I changed it to "home cinema" but the problem still exists, albeit with a different guise.

Now, the ITV Hub player allows Dolby Digital Plus as the format. Good, sounds promising. But there is still no surround, still only front stereo. And the amp refuses to allow me to pick one of the suitable processing modes.

Any further ideas, please?

Thanks

Thanks Jase, much obliged.

I changed it to "home cinema" but the problem still exists, albeit with a different guise.

Now, the ITV Hub player allows Dolby Digital Plus as the format. Good, sounds promising. But there is still no surround, still only front stereo. And the amp refuses to allow me to pick one of the suitable processing modes.

Any further ideas, please?

Thanks

Dolby Digital Plus is a step in the right direction in terms of quality. As far as I know ITV only broadcast in Stereo so that might explain why only the Front Left and Right are working. I had a quick look in the manual for your Marantz and it looks like it limits what processing can be applied to the various formats.

Might not be ideal but if you set the Netgem to output Digital Stereo does the Marantz then give you any further options?

Hello Jase

Thanks for looking at the manual. I saw that bit too and do understand it, but am disappointed that it's not a little more flexible.

Yes indeed, selecting Digital Stereo allows ITV Hub shows to come out via all speakers with PLIIz.

I also noticed that All 4 player (at least some shows) sends stereo even under Home Cinema, and that allowed PLIIz.

It would appear that ITV player somehow selects/uses/forces Dolby Digital Plus, even though it only puts signal on front channels (the amp shows 5 channels actively in even there's no data). While All 4 player selects stereo more appropriately.

Some BBC iPlayer shows send full 5-chanell data.

My choice now is to jiggle these system settings each day, or pick a compromise setting.

Again, many thanks

Hello Jase

Thanks for looking at the manual. I saw that bit too and do understand it, but am disappointed that it's not a little more flexible.

Yes indeed, selecting Digital Stereo allows ITV Hub shows to come out via all speakers with PLIIz.

I also noticed that All 4 player (at least some shows) sends stereo even under Home Cinema, and that allowed PLIIz.

It would appear that ITV player somehow selects/uses/forces Dolby Digital Plus, even though it only puts signal on front channels (the amp shows 5 channels actively in even there's no data). While All 4 player selects stereo more appropriately.

Some BBC iPlayer shows send full 5-chanell data.

My choice now is to jiggle these system settings each day, or pick a compromise setting.

Again, many thanks

Seems to be a limitation of some of the newer DSP's in modern AVR's. Frustratingly, much older models could add post processing to Multichannel PCM.

If it's pretty much only ITV that is the fly in the ointment then I'd be tempted to use a compromise setting so at least everything else then works correctly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom