Using Plex Server on iMac?

mattyn

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently run Plex Server on my Windows PC with the mass storage on a 6 TB Buffalo Linkstation connected via homeplugs.
I use Plex on a myriad of Apple devices - ATV4, Ipads and Iphones, PS4 and PS3 and also to an Amazon Fire TV Stick. The media stored on the Linkstation is in a variety of types, Avi, MP4, MKV, MP3 and FLAC to name but a few. The PC does any conversion and sends to the device. I have not had any "failure to play" with any media type, so all is good.
I want to change the PC to a 27" iMac, just because I can! My question is will the iMac carry out all the converting as the PC does, or will I encounter issues with non apple utilised file types? Does that question make sense?
Also, I have about 5TB of media - photos, music and video. I would like to use the Linkstation as a backup - so what would you suggest to go with the new iMac to store the data? A different NAS? Or maybe a big supported external HDD?
Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
Matt

No you won't have any file format issues using Plex on the iMac, as it's the Plex Server software itself that does any conversions necessary.
OS X has it's Time Machine software, so all you need to do with your Linkstation is create a shared folder big enough for your backup (ideally even bigger as Time Machine will keep a history of backup points and just overwrite the oldest backup points as and when it needs the space to do new backups), then point Time Machine to that share and it will take it over and do regular backups for you.
Ideally dump the homeplugs and get directly wired via ethernet for best performance.

I have used Plex on my imac, for a number of years, and TBH, its been faultless, i have my media stored all externally, and Plex has no problems finding it.
I havent come across a file it hasnt played, or any stuttering,(i did at first, years ago when i didnt really know what i was doing!!), that was down to my router anyway, and the fact i was using a not very well JB ATV2.
I dont use plaex now as my TV, sees all my HDD straight from the network, and luckily, has a great media player, so that plays everything.
But if it wasnt, i would still use Plex, without doubt.
They seem to have it sussed with the airplay functionality, and how nice the UI looks on the Mac,(and iphone ,ipad).

Plex is superb. Thank you for the assurance.

So what about the storage? Any tips?

I would buy QNAP for storage, such as their Intel powered quad-core TS-251+ or TS-253A. Why? They have PLEX on board, and iTunes Server. They have HDMI output for direct connection to your television. The latter model also sports 24 bit audio output (and JRiver software).

I've used it on my mac pro for years, the only issue I've got is that the mac pro won't wake for network access, but I think thats a problem with the OS as opposed to plex.

I've moved most of my day to day plex usage to a ubuntu VPS now however, as it stops me caning my upload limit when I stream media from my home machine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom