1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using PJ speakers from AV amp

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ROZ, Feb 27, 2005.

1. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey gang,

Getting there with my set-up but hit on an idea for adding two speakers to my 5.1 set-up. Driving home on night I realised there's a couple of currently unused speakers in my SP4085. Now I'll never get the OK ;) to add ANOTHER pair of speakers to the room, so as the PJ is already there, it started to feel like an idea.

Naturally the speakers aren't going to match the quality of the others, but when we first got the PJ we used it's speakers for a few weeks and they weren't hideously aweful. So as rear surround to compliment the existing surround speakers, I thought it might make a small improvement to the acoustics.

That said, I've got two options on connecting, 1) from the speaker terminals, 2) from the preamp outputs. As the PJ speakers are internally amped, I'm thinking it'd be safer to go from the preamp so I don't over-amp the signal and blow the PJ :eek: :eek: .

Your views, as always, would be appreciated.

cheers

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    Going from the pre-amp sounds safest like you say, and you've already mentioned the negative aspects, but with no alternatives, you've nothing to lose. :)

Try it and see what it's like. If it works Ok, then keep it, if it doesn't, you've not lost anything. You could always ask the other half what she thinks, and suggest it would sound better if the sound was further back. You never know, you might 'accidentaly' convince her to get some new speakers to replace them with but at the back of the room. :)

The flat picture style speakers are meant to be pretty good, so they might help to convince her if it comes round to it.

Gary.

3. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought a set of Eltax 5.1 speakers in the end from Richer and mounted two of the satelites as surround backs on the wall firing down into the viewing area. This means I've got a (inactive) subwoofer and couple more sats for extending into the kitchen and a spare centre.

I'm embarassed to say how cheap, but for what I needed 'em for - perfect!:clap:

4. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    could you not add a pair of discreet (and discrete) speakers, back-to-side of your existing main pair, pointing to the rear of the room ?

might be okay with the boss, and give you more surround quality ?

5. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Discretion is the better part of valour, and these look the same as my other sats, and sneak into the corner. Sonically they do the biz too (for now...) :devil: