Using PC as PVR Recorder

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Jingy, Apr 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am looking to buy a new all singing all dancing PC and was wondering if anyone knew how to set it up as a PVR recorder which would save me buying Sky+ or TiVo.
    Would the Hauppauge card allow me to record and then playback direct from PC to TV. Can I record from Sky and ITV Digital.
    This is the link to the Hauppauge card.

http://www.pcrs.co.uk/makepages34x1.cfm?T10=562775

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Jingy

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    The simple answer is yes. I assume you have a digibox, in which case you need to convert the scart out from the box to s-video into the card. That will need an extra box at about £60 to £80. Sky+ of course has s-video out.

Hauppauge does a digital satellite receiver card but i'm not sure it has a PVR built in.

3. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I phoned Hauppauge and they told me that with the card it is not possible to playback on the TV, so any recording have to be watched on the monitor or cut on to CD and then viewed using a DVD player.
    I'm wondering if it is worth the hassle just to save £10 per month sub to TiVo.
    I would like to watch the recording on a TV set and that is where the problem lies.

4. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jingy

I think they are possible talking BS.

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to play back on TV, as this is a function of your graphics card, not the PVR?

If your graphics card has TV-Out facility, you can view anything that you can view on the PC Monitor.

What graphics card do you have?

Cheers

Laurel

5. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Laurel

I think you are right, what they said is that the Hauppauge card only has a TV-in and that you would need a seperate graphics card with a TV-out to watch it on TV.

The machine I play to buy has a GForce 4 graphics card.

The Hauppauge card is about £180 and for £200 I can get a TiVo.

Jingy

6. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jingy

You would be ok with the Geforce 4 with TV-out.

I get what you mean with the difference in price. There are other ways of achieving what you want though.

You could purchase a cheaper TV Card, like the Hauppage WinTV (about 30-50 nicker) Then use something like VirtualDub to capture with a decent Codec like HuffYuv or PicVideo. There is a timer utility available for VirtualDub also for timed recording.

This is what I plan to do shortly.

Of course you won't get the nice program guide of the Tivo - but hey it's cheaper and you've done it yourself!

I am planning to try and do something with a program guide using extracts from teletext. But I like to faff around with stuff like that.

If you don't have the time or inclination the Tivo is a good bet.

Cheers

Laurel

7. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips Laurel

I think I may try it if i can do it for around £100 or less and not pay a monthly charge.
    So it would be possible to switch the channels on the digital tuner automatically would it ??
    Is there free TV scheduling software available anywhere on the net that you know of.

Jingy

8. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jingy

Well there are two ways of doing that.

1. Use a TV Card with digital tuner built in.
    2. Use infra-red remote control stuff, say via X10.

Both extra expense of course.

Not that I know of. I'm going to attempt my own. I'm still on the lookout for an easy solution though.

Cheers

Laurel

9. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks man

I'll check that out.

Cheers

Laurel

11. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Laurel

Don't forget to factor in the monthly sub for TIVO, if you want the EPG. It's £10 a month or £199 for life. If the EPG is of no interest to you then you can still use the TIVO as a hard disk recorder but you miss out on a lot of functionality.

12. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philipb

Yeah - thanks mate I did know about that.

I suppose what I'm trying to do is build my own TIVO (otherwise known as re-inventing the wheel :) ).

But as I say, I like faffing around with stuff like that so I'm happy. :)

Cheers

Laurel

13. Yoleus

Yoleus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Hauppauge Nova-t digital pc card. It's rubbish (actually I could use much stronger language to describe it). For a start the application keeps crashing when you change channels but worse than that the quality is awful with intermittent clicks and gaps and frozen pictures.

I'd hoped to build a tivo copy based on this card but sadly it will be returning to PC World. :eek: