Using PAYG sim temporarily to port number

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Soni1919, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Soni1919

Soni1919

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a contract which is due for expiry with T-Mobile and they couldn't offer me the deal I wanted direct through retentions.

I found a better sim only contract which is also through T-Mobile which I have ordered and intend on transfering my number to this sim.

I'm aware I can transfer my number by using a PAC code from my existing contract to a PAYG sim on another network. Then I can obtain a PAC code from the PAYG provider to transfer to my new T-Mobile sim.

My question is what is the best/cheapest PAYG network to use for the transfer? Im concerned the PAYG provider might make me wait for an extended period or charge a large fee for this.

If anyone can point me to the best network for doing this it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,603
    A PAC code is valid for 30 days so you there should not be any need to use a PAYG sim as a make-weight

3. Subtlebrick

Subtlebrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I did the same thing a few years ago, to get a better deal with T-mobile, porting my number via Tesco payg, and had no issues.
    I think the pac request was automated, so no awkward conversations with CS, and using your pac automatically cancels the contract.

4. Soni1919

Soni1919

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the reply, will give it a go with Tesco then.

5. Subtlebrick

Subtlebrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    No problem.
    One thing I hadn't considered when I bought the 99p payg sim, was that to activate it you needed to top up with £10.
    Not a big deal, but it was something I hadn't thought about. I suppose it means Tesco gets something out of it, so they're even less likely to gripe about it. :)

6. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    +1 for tesco, I've never left a network that easy, I did have to speak to a cs rep but she was great, took the details, asked a reason and I had my PAC in less than 5 minutes from pressing dial

7. Soni1919

Soni1919

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just thought I'd update this in case anyone else was interested.

Appreciate the replies but after speaking with someone at my local market's phone stall I opted to go with Vodafone.

I basically bought a £1 PAYG sim and ported my number to that. Once that had gone through I called Vodafone and without having to make a top-up they provided me with a PAC code and I used that to port back to T-Mobile relatively hassle free.

I did have to wait about 40 minutes to get through to Vodafone customer services and also told them the reason was poor reception, but it saved me a few quid!

8. Subtlebrick

Subtlebrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You. You're devious. I like you.