Question Using Outside Aerial With AV Receiver Problem

Garrett

I tried tuning into a station yesterday (using the strip of wire that comes with receiver) which is coming very week and really no listenable to but have an outdoor FM aerial but the socket on the back of my Marantz is a miss match of normal sockets (will be the same on the Denon as well and maybe others ) as from attachment lower below is the problem the socket have a male sleeve but have a female inside which is contrary to every aerial plugs I know it's either a male sleeve and male inner prong, or a female sleeve and female inner. e.g.(top pic) lower left male sleeve and inner male prong and upper right female sleeve and a inner female.
What I need to fit an is a female outer and male inner prong plug.

has anybody found a solution to link an outside aerial up, or found a stockist for the unusual plug?
sleeve.jpg

Marantz miss mash.jpg

vampire_43

Standard Member
Think you can purchase an aeriel adaptor socket quite easily. Probably pay more for postage than the adaptor.

Garrett

Think you can purchase an aeriel adaptor socket quite easily. Probably pay more for postage than the adaptor.
I looked yesterday and did not find one as they all seem male/male or female/female or the sort you screw onto the aerial wire outer leaving the inner copper core sticking out then screw onto the tuner(as below).
If there is a female/male plug to put on the end of a aerial wire avalable to buy please can you link.
optional.jpg

Garrett

Just stuck in Google fixing external aerial to Marantz tuner and the nearest I can get what this guy has in the video but can neither find a stockist so far and would you wire the inner copper lead to one of the terminals and the outer copper shield to the other.

Garrett

Found some like in the video, question is that suitable?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I suggest you get a couple of the re-wirable male and female connectors and make up your own hybrid connector?

This lot do them:

It might need a bit of filing to get it all to fit back together, but should be doable. The centre goes to the copper conductor and the braid gets wrapped around the shield crimp and squeezed against the outside of the shell of the connector.

That video is about fitting a balun to the receiver to use a basic bit of wire. Not relevant in your case. The other connector you showed is an F-connector normally only used for satellite and cable TV, so again not what you need.

Garrett

I suggest you get a couple of the re-wirable male and female connectors and make up your own hybrid connector?

This lot do them:

It might need a bit of filing to get it all to fit back together, but should be doable. The centre goes to the copper conductor and the braid gets wrapped around the shield crimp and squeezed against the outside of the shell of the connector.

That video is about fitting a balun to the receiver to use a basic bit of wire. Not relevant in your case. The other connector you showed is an F-connector normally only used for satellite and cable TV, so again not what you need.
Ah take the inside of a male aerial plug and stick in the inside of a female (will see if I have some round the house.

BTW that F connector I had to use on 2 dedicated tuners and was looking at the back of a recent Yamaha receiver and they use the F connecter for the aerial lead.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Yes, so use them. My JVC valve hybrid mini system has one. There's no specification so they get all sorts.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
The common 'standard' for FM tuner antenna (aerial) connection is a panel-mounted male Belling Lee plug.

Pretty sure that is what you picture except that the centre 'pin' is hollow, and not peened at the end. (The 'pin' is usually hollow on B-L plugs to allow the centre conductor to be passed through, soldered then cut off.)

Have you tried fitting a coax double-ended socket 'joiner' or a free 'socket' cable on the amp's connector?

Belling Lee ( aka IEC 61169-2 ) TV plugs will not be amenable to swapping bits and bobs around from plug to socket, in my view.

Ask Marantz if it's a special?

EDIT: Just googled image of the rear of my Onkyo 515 avr and it looks identical to your picture... That connects using a female TV socket in my home.

Last edited:

Garrett

The common 'standard' for FM tuner antenna (aerial) connection is a panel-mounted male Belling Lee plug.

Pretty sure that is what you picture except that the centre 'pin' is hollow, and not peened at the end. (The 'pin' is usually hollow on B-L plugs to allow the centre conductor to be passed through, soldered then cut off.)

Have you tried fitting a coax double-ended socket 'joiner' or a free 'socket' cable on the amp's connector?

Belling Lee ( aka IEC 61169-2 ) TV plugs will not be amenable to swapping bits and bobs around from plug to socket, in my view.

Ask Marantz if it's a special?

EDIT: Just googled image of the rear of my Onkyo 515 avr and it looks identical to your picture... That connects using a female TV socket in my home.
I just come back from trying one of those 3 way adapters on it (just before I read your post but thanks) (as I did not have a female, the triangular type with 2 female and one male) and touched one of the other port and it worked OK.
So just need to find a male plug and Im good to go.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
:clap:
Sadly the 3-way splitter (unless resistive type - and few are nowadays) has no signal path between the two female sockets.

A TV plug 'joiner', 'coupler' or 'barrel' socket will probably do the job as would a male to female TV lead or a rewirable female TV/IEC socket. The word used by sellers can differ for the same item.

Garrett

:clap:
Sadly the 3-way splitter (unless resistive type - and few are nowadays) has no signal path between the two female sockets.

A TV plug 'joiner', 'coupler' or 'barrel' socket will probably do the job as would a male to female TV lead or a rewirable female TV/IEC socket. The word used by sellers can differ for the same item.
Works for me whether I touch one of the other two sockets i.e. male or female.
Three way.jpg

Garrett

Pickup via the outer?

It might be resistive - use a meter on ohms range to prove.
Tried with a lead that has male and female for linking tv with videos and it works.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Tried with a lead that has male and female for linking tv with videos and it works.
The tuner works with your FM aerial system via that lead?

Not using the plastic splitter?

Although using the fly-lead socket to splitter male both sockets will get a -3 to -4dB signal so would also work connected to the tuner.

Male to male TV lead to socket of splitter and other sochet to tuner (IF you could fit it - probably no room to) would not pass much if any signal - unless resistive when it would be -6dB cf the input.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Yep, that's just a plain straight splitter from the looks of things. Probably no components inside whatsoever.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom