• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Using Onkyo AV Receiver with Yamaha soundbar

StrikerTokyo

Standard Member
Are there any benfefits in using a soundbar with a proper AV receiver?

This seems very counter-intuitive but my son is eagerly exploring our fairly small Tokyo apartment and I don't have a safe place to put my rear speakers. I'm also having to crowd the centre/left/right speakers in front of the TV to keep them out of reach.

I'm considering buying a Yamaha soundbar but it seems to be a waste of my Onkyo receiver. Having said that, I am only able to use 3.1 at the moment so it might be a better option for a few years. Can I take advantage of the video / audio decoding on the receiver and pipe that though to the soundbar, or will the receiver not recognise what the soundbar is? Even if I can't do anything with the audio can I use the video decoding?

I have a seperate amp to improve the bass so this seems like an option, very interested in some more expert opinion.

Thanks,

Neil

mjbtin

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Could you not wall mount the rears to get them out of reach?
It is also amasing how quickly kids learn not to touch certain items. I have a full 5.1 system with rear standmount speakers on stands and after the initial inquisitive stage (lasts only a few months) both have then left the speakers etc alone.

StrikerTokyo

Standard Member
Thanks Martin, will check the passive soundbar out.

You might be right psm1, I may leave it for a couple of months to see if he can leave them alone. I can't find anything that will hold the speakers on the plasterboard, tried a couple o options but they were not strong enough (despite claiming to be)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom