1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using one set of speakers from two amps

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Razzle123, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Razzle123

Razzle123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just found these great forums which has prompted me to post a question that has been nagging me for a while. I currently have a Pioneer 812 Receiver, and Aegis Evo 3B speakers - but would like to add in a stereo amplifier. Is it OK to connect 1 pair of speakers to two amps - and if so how should I go about doing it?

Thanks for any advice

Ian

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Razzle,
    Providing your av amp has at least one set of Pre-outs you will be able to do it.
    Basically you can do it by adding a stereo power amplifier. You would need a set of analogue audio cables. These run from the Pre-outs on the AV receiver to the imputs on the power amp. You would then connect your front speakers to the power amps speaker connectors.
    You could add a second Power amp and Bi-Amp your speakers. One amp would drive the treble and mid while the second would drive the bass. It does get expensive though.......
    Even with just the one amp you'll notice a big improvement in 2 channel audio.playback.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Razzle123

Do you mean you want to share one pair of speakers between two amps with the ability to 'select' which amp your listening to? If yes then QED and others provide Amplifier Switchers that allow that connectivity and functionality.

Best regards

Joe

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think it needs to be emphasised that you must not simply connect the speaker outputs of 2 amplifiers to the binding posts on one set of speakers.

Depending on the functionality you want then you can either go for a switchbox like Joe suggests or the better quality but less elegant solution described by Knightshade.

5. Razzle123

Razzle123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies ..... looks like I'll go down the switch box route.

Thanks again

Ian

6. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    Are you looking to simply improve the amplification of the front L&R channels of your receiver for a better sound from that (as Knightshade says) or to add a completely seperate amp for normal stereo use & simply share the speakers between the 2 systems?

7. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would think the former, as Razzle's thinking of the switch box route.

Oddly enough it's exactly what I plan to do and from a previous post (nothing to do with me, I just happened to see it) Joe put me on to these two units.

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/pic.asp?p=VS-81A

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/pic.asp?p=VS-55A

Might be worth a look.

David

8. Razzle123

Razzle123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I'm trying to improve the stereo sound - and thought that adding a separate two-channel amp was the best way to go. However if adding a power-amp can achieve the same effect then I may have to think again!

Ian

9. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    I was just concerned that you wanted to use a speaker switch box in reverse to connect the speakers to two amps, which runs the risk of shorting the amps together :thumbsdow.

I can see a potential problem with Knightshade's configuration, as the line outs are likely to be fixed level & power amps don't have volume controls. It may be more economical & less aggro to just upgrade the receiver. Or maybe even start with some better cabling to the speakers. Without knowing what weaknesses in your current setup you are trying to address I can't offer any more advice.

Maybe better off enquiring in the Amps forum listing what you've got & why you don't like it.

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The output level is generally constant for tape loops (eg. VCR, CDR, Tape outputs) but is linked to the amplifiers volume pot for the preout connections that are generally included with AV amps.

11. Bridger

Bridger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I am looking for a solution to a similar problem.

I have an existing amp and speakers which I wish to retain for music. I am looking to add an AV amp and centre and rear speakers and double up on the use of the existing speakers as the front pair.

Can I take a pre out from the AV amp to a line in socket on the stereo amp to drive the front speakers.

Apologies if that is what you have just answered above but I am new to all this.

Thanks

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Hi Bridger.

Yes you can do that and it's generally recommended to give the best sound quality. You do have to remember to set the stereo amps volume to the same point each time you watch a film otherwise the front speakers that are connected to it could be too loud or quiet compared to the rest of your speakers.

13. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ressurecting an old thread here!!
    Anyway, I have the same query. If I wanted to run one pair of speakers from, either my AV amp or 2-channel amp are you saying that a switch box is not good as I coulkd possibly damage my amps?
    Also if I were to run a stereo amp from AV amp line outs,
    A: would the sound still be processed Ok for DTS soundtracks?
    B:Surely adjusting the volume of the stereo amp each time you go from listening to a CD to watching a movie, is going to play havoc with your amp settings?? You'd have to get the SPL meter out everytime you watched a film to check the levels!!!??

Or am I wrong here?

14. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    A: Yes, as long as you remembered to turn on your stereo amp!
    B: That's why you pick a known volume on the stereo amp (for example, the vertical postion) and calibrate your AV amp for that. Then whenever you use the AV amp, set the stereo amp to this volume.

15. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Aha, thanks for that!!
    Maybe I'll try it on my Yam 640, although the only stereo amp I have is an old Marantz PM-44SE that I inherited from a friend after fixing it for him!! Not sure that I will see any improvements with this setup, but could be worth a try!

16. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.qed.co.uk/acc/wallmount.html
    The switchbox is the WM19 it is designed as a wallmounted switch but i'm sure it'd be an easy DIY job with a backing box. (The standard switch type is no longer available).
    To break it down it allows two amplifiers to safely connect to the same pair of speakers and select which one is feeding the speakers using a switch.
    RRP £45

17. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

18. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: