• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Using old Sky HD box to record - without a subscription

drb99

Established Member
I have been a Sky subscriber, with Sports, for over 15 years, but recently (and due to other unforeseen expenses which will be ongoing) we have got to the stage where we have to cancel it. It's now over £100 per month for the first time (we have multiroom, unlimited BB, Sports, Movies etc) and even after them discounting it, still £80+. We just can't justify it any more - £1k per year could be better spent elsewhere.

When I called them the other day, they talked me through the cancellation, notice period etc - but also mentioned an option that is definitely of interest.

They said they are trialling a service where you keep your existing box and viewing card (the box is mine anyway) and use can use it to pause and record all the channels available without a subscription. They said that it also means I can have line rental for £6.40 per month and free unlimited broadband for 12 months, which appeals to us too.

Has anyone else got this? Is it a trial or do you think they will start charging for it at some point?

We intend to take up Now TV for the Movies and Entertainment at £17 per month, and I will buy Sky Sports day/week passes for the odd occasion I need it. I've trialled it on our Apple TV and the streaming quality is superb - HD for both on demand and live channels.

logiciel

There has always been the option for £10 a month.
There have been no reports on the forum of the charge being dropped.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
There have been reports on other forums (more satellite based than this one) that such an offer has been received.

nsewell

Established Member
Some customers who cancel there Sky tv service have received a free trial of the Sky+ service for 6 months.
The Sky+ features are re-activated automatically and the customer would receive a letter informing them what is happening.
After the free trial is over the Sky+ features are automatically switched off.

During the trial customers will see a £10pm Sky+ charge for the service on there Sky bill.

To make the service free:
Standalone Talk & Broadband customers will have a 6 Months £10 Line Rental discount applied to their account.

Customers without Sky Broadband will have a £120 credit applied to their account to be used for the Sky+ service.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom