Using Old Popcorn Hours as NAS

antonalfredo

Novice Member
I have two old Popcorn Hours (A-200 and A-210) that are still working but can't be used to view x265, etc., videos, and they're connected to a local network with a Raspberry Pi (headless), Windows 10 PCs, and Android TV boxes with Kodi.

Using Kodi, I added the shared drives in both devices plus a couple of folders in external HDs connected to the PCs and RPi, and was able to view the videos stored in them. That includes three enclosures connected to one PC, each with a couple of HDs.

My question is, can I connect the enclosures to the PCHs, turning them into NASes? Or is it better to connect them to RPi but require line commands to mount drives, give permissions for each folder to share, etc? Or use a cheap mini PC with Win 10 installed and accessed headless?

next010

Distinguished Member
It's possible so long as the software on the PCH permits it (which it does if memory serves).

The samba version on those PCH might be fairly old at this point, so may or may not have connection issues depending upon the clients.

R-Pi and Openmediavault is a great way to manage the R-Pi as a NAS, I'd just hook everything up to the R-Pi with powered USB hubs

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom