1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using old Laptop Screen in car

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gazzarose, Jun 25, 2005.

1. gazzarose

gazzarose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys,

Dont know if its possible, but ive got an old Compaq Armada laptop and was wondering if it would be possible to use it in my car as a normal screen to play dvds through.

Are there adapter leads available to do this?

I dont mind if theres a fit of wiring to do cos im quiet compitant with soldering etc.

Cheers

2. lidders

lidders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just plug it into an inverter to 240 volts and it will play through cig lighter.

LIDDERS

3. gazzarose

gazzarose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I dont mean use the whole laptop, cos bascically its knackered. But the screen is still fine, so i wanted to build the screen into my boot build. Ive already got a dvd player with s-video and phono video outputs so just wanted to connect it to that.

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    The signal that the screen requires is very different to that from a DVD player. You would be better off just buying a cheapo screen with the right input. Also, even if you did manage to get it to work, if it's an old laptop the response time will be poor and moving pictures will probably look pretty nasty.

5. gazzarose

gazzarose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, i was just wondering because its quite a big screen, bout 14 or 15 inch i think so would have looked pretty good in the boot.

I have watched videos and stuff on it before with no problems, its not really really old, I dont know the exact age but wen it had Windows ME on it.

Well if theres any other thorts let me know.

Cheers

6. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Its pretty difficult to do tbh. Its not as simple as just pulling out the old screen. You will need a controller board for the panel which isnt cheap, assuming of course you can even find one that will support your panel in first place. You also might need an inverter for the backlight aswell as god knows what else to get it running.

See here for controllers http://store.earthlcd.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.5/.f

As GaryB said, you would be much better off just buying a cheapo screen with all the right kit in it in the first place. Then you can pull it apart and build it into your boot.