Using off the shelf Dell as basis for HTPC?

Shakey21

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking at possibly buying one of these and then changing the case, buying a HD/Blue ray drive and using as a HTPC, has anyone done anything like this or would you recommend individual component purchase?

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/44157/dell-vostro-200-base-unit-2ghz-core

Additionally, I would need to get XP Media Centre edition, I've seen this for £70 at scan but does anyone know if this is this the full version or an upgrade?

I wouldn't trust that the components in the Dell are of standard PC type. Why buy a pre-made PC with warranty then take it apart, voiding the warranty?

Just build up a HTPC yourself. It's not hard. A medium specced pc, 2ghz dual core, 1 or 2gb ram, single samsung HD, passive mobo + graphics, XP MCE, then IR receiver. Quiet case fans, cpu cooler, quiet psu.

I agree with badbob, doesn't seem worth it if you are going to change so much. Dell systems are very quiet though, so if you have the room you could just add a HD driver and use as it is. Or there is always the slimlime Dell you could choose instead...

This Dell system would be better suited as a HTPC I think.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/44162/dell-vostro-slim-200st-base-unit-co

It's has a E6550 c2d chip, G33 motherboard, 2GB Ram, 320GB HDD, DVD-RW, X1300 with DVI output, and is only 10cm high.

At £293.82 delivered you couldn't build an equivalent PC that cheap!

Replace the DVD drive with the Pioneer BDC-202 and possibly the X1300 with a HD 2400/2600 low profile graphics card and you're laughing!

DELL use Dell cases, Dell motherboards, custom length cables. There are a number of reasons why moving that into another case may not be best. The above advice is very sound.

This Dell system would be better suited as a HTPC I think.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/44162/dell-vostro-slim-200st-base-unit-co

It's has a E6550 c2d chip, G33 motherboard, 2GB Ram, 320GB HDD, DVD-RW, X1300 with DVI output, and is only 10cm high.

At £293.82 delivered you couldn't build an equivalent PC that cheap!

Replace the DVD drive with the Pioneer BDC-202 and possibly the X1300 with a HD 2400/2600 low profile graphics card and you're laughing!

Hi guys just ordered this system & was wondering if I replace the Graphics card with this one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337066&view=detailed do you think it will be compatible?? I also used this E Value code 305-D09VS2 got it for €397.59 :thumbsup:

The cheap one would work fine with the included graphics card.
The more expensive one won't as I don't think the x1300 works with PowerDVD Ultra for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.

You can get a much cheaper 2600 than that or a Nvidia 8500/8600
The Dells are very good for HTPCs as they are extremely quiet.

Why would you want to change the case?

Thanks PJ,I dont want to change the case that was the OP maybe I shouldnt have hijacked his thread :blush: I have seen some of the other cards you mentioned & I'll just have to check them out a bit more!

Thanks very much leeb for the links the cards there are alot cheaper than the 1's I was looking at & that always helps :D

It looks like several manufacturers do ATI HD 2400pro cards in low profile form. Look for Xpertvision, Club 3D etc.

I would not advise anyone to get an ATI 2400, I have one and they have so many problems ... get something else.
The first one had constant VPU crash and recovers, and bad line tearing in games and video playback.
The replacement, in both my Dells gives really bad line tearing on video playback.

I was looking at possibly buying one of these and then changing the case, buying a HD/Blue ray drive and using as a HTPC, has anyone done anything like this or would you recommend individual component purchase?

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/44157/dell-vostro-200-base-unit-2ghz-core

Additionally, I would need to get XP Media Centre edition, I've seen this for £70 at scan but does anyone know if this is this the full version or an upgrade?

I have also gone down the road of using a donor pre-built PC (An Acer Aspire T180) as a basis for my HTPC - and have hit a snag too...

You need to find out how many SATA ports the motherboard has - you will proabably want to have a couple of decent sized hard disks and your BluRay/HD-DVD drive will also be SATA too.

Thats 3 SATA ports you need - it seems quite a number of the Tier1 pre-built PCs use Mobos that have limited expansion capabilities - my Acer has two SATA ports for example.

There are ways around this of course but it eats into the cost effectiveness of using a pre-built PC as the donor.

A reasonable Mobo for an HTPC is circa £50 - and that comes with all the cables etc that you would probably need.

XP Media Centre edition - I don't think it was ever available as upgrade edition (Upgrade from what would be the question). The Scan/Ebuyer versions are often marked as OEM and are basically a disk and a licence key...all you really need.

Ok just received my PC today & am going to order the XFX Geforce 8400GS & low profile kit,I just checked the power supply & it shows max output 250w I dont know much about pc's but i'm guessing that this will also need to be upgraded if i add the bluray drive to this list! Can anyone shed some light on this please :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom