1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using NW HD-5 bookmarks

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by snownrock, Jul 31, 2005.

1. snownrock

snownrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have playlists on my player, these i set up using sonic stage, no problem with that, but as u all know from time to time you want to listen to just a few certain tracks, not a playlist or a full album. For this i want to be able to queue tracks to listen too instead of reaching for the player and selecting a track everytime. I think using bookmarks is the way forward but the supplied pdf manual baffles me, i just want to be able to queue a few tracks when setting off on a morning.

If anyone wants to explain how to do this in layman's terms it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers Tom

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bad news: can't be done.

The HD5 lacks on-the-go playlisting, as this is commonly understood. It also lacks track/album queueing. Bookmarks only work thus:

You're playing a track and think, 'Hey, wouldn't mind bookmarking this!' So you press and HOLD the up arrow and get a bookmark menu. You select your preferred bookmark (from 1-5), then press PLAY. The track goes silent for a split second, then continues playing - and in the display, you can see a bookmark symbol and number (you can change that symbol later if you choose to).

This is the only way to bookmark: the track you want HAS TO BE PLAYING. Pain in the wotsits, huh? You're best bet is to fire up your PC, make a quick drag 'n' drop playlist, and transfer to the player. Hopefully, this is something Sony will address either in a firmware upgrade or in later models.

And I agree, the manual is uncommonly bad for a Japanese electronics product - I've always found them so helpful in the past.

One final thing, you can't transfer bookmarks to or edit them from your PC. Bummer! :(