1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using NTSC camcorder... can I edit on PC & make DVDs for UK media?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by sgecko, Jan 28, 2003.

1. sgecko

sgecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sony digital camcorder TRV-17 at a good price from New York (famous B&H store). Unfortunately I realised to my annoyance, it is NTSC and I can't transfer to normal VHS.

Is it still possible to transfer the footage for editing on a PC? Can I then make DVDs that will play in colour on UK players?

Also when I record in 16:9 mode (showing black bars at top & bottom of LCD screen), the bars disappear when played back on any TV.... how do I stop this as I like the cinema-type effect?

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but think of the $$ you saved ;)

It sure is, most analogue capture cards work in both PAL/SECAM and NTSC, and digital transfers ("firewire"/"ILINK") too. The only think that will happen is that the software has to convert the end footage from NTSC to PAL, which most can do with extra processing.

Most people want rid of black bars :D

If it's a 16:9 TV, it will not show bars as the formats are the same.

If it's a 4:3 TV, you need to switch into a mode which does show the bars, or else the display will be stretched.

If you really want bars all the time, look for a editor that will save in 4:3 mode, which essential means the bars will be part of the out picture and, hence also shown on the 16:9 TV. Although this method loses resolution deliberately, for no real gain...

3. sgecko

sgecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those tips!

4. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sgecko- just to add to prvous post- i also bought my cam from the US- in fact the same shop as you, in NY- great shop aint it!!

i've had no probs in editing on PC, apart from those unrelated to this matter
    happy editing!!:D

5. jorgen poulsen

jorgen poulsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just looking into how I could transfer video to my PC. I have a Sony CCD-TRV62 NTSC. It has s-video and the 3 female out (white, yellow and red).

I have a PC with some slots open and USB.

What would I need to buy exactly to make it work.

All advice appreciated.