1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using normal speakers with an all in one system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by HJD, May 14, 2004.

1. HJD

HJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying an all in one home cinema system as I am short on space and would like to get dvd/cd/radio/amp in one small box.

However, I note that most of these - understandably - come with 5+1 speakers. Whilst I may want this in the future, initially I only really want to have 2 main speakers L&R.

Does any one know:

1) What will happen if I only connect up the L&R satellite speakers that typically come with such a set up. Will it still work or do I need the sub / centre as well.

2) What would happen if I connected my existing Gale hi-fi speakers to the front L&R terminals.

Advice appreciated/

Howard

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    At a guess it probably would not work with some speakers disconnected The amp should see that as a fault. If it was practical you could connect everything up and just select stereo for your listening mode .You can place the sub almost anywhere and stash the centre and rears out of the way? You will need the sub to be on' and some all in ones all speakers are fed via the sub. I wouldn't try the gales for the above reasons. Hope this is of some help