Quantcast

Using network extension cable - VM hub

commuter

Standard Member
Hi all. It's been a while since we've changed ISP and I'm looking at moving to Virgin as they've now put the infrastructure in for Fibre. Having seen the quality of the installation at my neighbours house I'm not letting them loose inside my house so was thinking of getting it cabled to just inside the front door where the current EE router is.

My question is this - Can I run some kind of cabling from the front door under the floor to come up in the lounge to hard wire the TV and Freesat box and IMac to? What kind of cable would that be?

I'm looking at moving to Virgin partly because the current deals are good but mostly we now have 4 laptops, 1 MacBook, 1 IMac, Freesat box, 5 mobiles and 2 TV's all working on WiFi so any chance of hard wiring some of the above would be good. We currently have a lot of streaming (YouTube, IPlayer, Radio, Amazon Music) going through the router and occasionally it screws it up and we have to reboot it and/or some of the devices.

I'm not a massive techie but I could run cables and install a hub in the lounge. Just need help on best type of cable from router to lounge. TIA

techquest

Cat 6 UTP cable, rated at 1GB would be your best bet and it's simple to install. Or Cat 6a cable rated at 10GB but harder to install as it's shielded. There is also an argument to install Cat 7, but I doubt you need to go to that extent, other than it's the newest standard. I assume under the floor you mean under floorboards, which is okay, you just need to make sure you don't over bend the cable when installing.

Buy your cable from a supplier who sells verified Cat cable, there are cables sold that may have Cat markings but may not be Cat anything. The links are good cable suppliers and you can buy in 100mtr drums or 305mtr boxes which is the normal distribution method. RS supply Belden cable, Belden bought CDT, one of the worlds best cable manufactures. You can also find the face plates on both sites.

Cat6 UTP Solid Core Cable

RS PRO Grey Cat6 Cable UTP LSZH, PVC Low Smoke Zero Halogen (LSZH), 100m | RS Components

Here's what the socket would look like from a wiring perspective. Note you will only need to use the 568B, straight through socket, when terminating your Cat cables.

Note terminals

1 (White/Orange)
3 (W/Green)
5 (W/Blue)
7 (W/Brown)

on the socket are the white/colour striped wires in the Cat cable, the others being the solid colour of the twisted pairs.

You would need an RJ45 punch down tool to terminate the jacks

upload_2019-6-29_15-1-36.png

Punch Down Tool IDC Insertion Tool Connect Cable to RJ45 Cut Trim Wires | eBay

You need an RJ45 crimping tool for any plugs you might need to terminate, though you could go jack to jack and use Cat patch cords from jacks to equipment. Patch cords are available from the suppliers mentioned. Don't buy them from eBay and the likes as they might be labeled Cat* but they might not be Cat anything rated, there are lots of fakes on the market.

upload_2019-6-29_15-4-46.png

163579709535 | eBay

If you need any help/guidance let us know.

Last edited:

MarkE19

Hard wiring to a face plate is the tidy but more complex option. If you want to go the easier route you could just run a pre-made CAT5e/CAT6 cable to the TV. If more than a single cable is required there then you can add a cheap network switch, ie
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/World-Data-Network-enhanced-Ethernet-white/dp/B003ZB7NE2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2Z1LVOK7QGLHL&keywords=cat5+cable+10m&qid=1561817457&s=gateway&sprefix=cat5+cable,aps,158&sr=8-4 - or whatever length is required
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Business-Desktop-Gigabit-Unmanaged/dp/B00HZMVTBK/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=network+switch&qid=1561817541&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:1036543031&rnid=1036507031&s=computers&sr=1-7

Or if you prefer you could extend the VM cable so you can put the router by the TV. I think the cable is standard coax (like for a TV aerial) with F-plugs, so
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/deleyCON-Antenna-Coaxial-Current-Ferrite-White/dp/B07JMGMMJG/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=f-plug+cable+10m&qid=1561817924&s=computers&sr=1-14&th=1 or whatever length is required
With a bit of luck you may be able to get the VM installer to leave you enough coax cable to run it yourself (or do it for you if you trust them enough).

Mark.

techquest

I'm not disagreeing with anything that MarkE19 is saying save that running pre-made cat cables are not a good idea to be running, unless that is you can physically see what you putting the cable into/through over the entire length of the run. Pre-made cables get damaged easily as do the plugs/sockets on the end, especially if you have to pull them through tight spaces. Sadly it's only when you've installed them you discover the problems and you have a completely waisted investment. Yes you can damage cable you install off a drum, or from a box, but it's less likely to happen.

upload_2019-6-29_15-59-13.png

The photo shows a typical VM fibre to the home type connection box, though there are a number of different boxes in use these days. You can ask the installer to cable from the box to the most convenient spot for your router. They won't cable through lofts and as you've eluded to, not all installers are good at cabling inside the house, so be wise when it comes to their installation and keep an eye on them. They have to run the cable from the box to its termination point in order to carry out the various tests required post installation, the results being proof of their work to their management, so I doubt they would leave you cable to do it yourself.

commuter

Standard Member
Thanks for the very comprehensive replies. I think I'm going to run a poly pipe under the gravel in the front garden and get them to run the cable across the face of the steps (I'll cover with a bead of concrete after to tidy and protect it). From there I can either clear a way for them to enter the property via an air brick and come up through the floor or drill through at the side of the front door. From there I can run the cable all the way under the floor clipped onto joists and bring it up in the lounge into a hub to distribute to the iMac, TV etc.

I have full access under the floors without having to lift boards thanks to a trap in the kitchen floor which gets me under the lounge, kitchen, some of the hallway and part of the office extension. The rest can be accessed via door at the side of the house which gets me under the bathroom and hallway.

One of my main concerns when posting was that I would need to run fibre round the house to get the full benefit of the increase in speed with fibre to cabinet but from your replies that would appear to not be the case as long as the cable run is good quality and shielded. Thanks to everyone so far. I'll post the solution when I have one

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Virgin's network hasn't really reached fibre speeds yet. The majority of their customers are connected via copper coaxial cable and still have access to the top package. And that can be hundreds of meters to the aggregation point, not a few dozen meters you'd use at home.

Fibre at home is generally only needed for the really high bandwidth stuff, like the 18000Mbps of an HDMI (at longer distances).

The suggestions in this thread are relevant for stuff using networking technologies. If you're subscribing to any services from Virgin that aren't delivered over the internet like cable TV then you may need a different solution.

commuter

Standard Member
Virgin's network hasn't really reached fibre speeds yet. The majority of their customers are connected via copper coaxial cable and still have access to the top package. And that can be hundreds of meters to the aggregation point, not a few dozen meters you'd use at home.

Fibre at home is generally only needed for the really high bandwidth stuff, like the 18000Mbps of an HDMI (at longer distances).

The suggestions in this thread are relevant for stuff using networking technologies. If you're subscribing to any services from Virgin that aren't delivered over the internet like cable TV then you may need a different solution.
Not quite sure what you're trying to tell me? It looks like you're saying I shouldn't bother with fibre as it's neither necessary and it's most likely coaxial rather than fibre

techquest

If, as you have said, Virgin have put the infrastructure, fibre, in your area, more to the point to your street, and will definitely install fibre to you home, then it will be supplied to a box, as in post #4 above. They would then run from there to where you want your equipment placed.

Your Virgin connection is down to whether they have fibre in your street and if they are prepared to put fibre to your house. Unlike areas where they have no fibre then their service would probably be supplied by copper from the cab/DP to your home which is a different beast. I have seen plenty of services supplied by their fibre to the premises but mainly new builds/estates.

We haven't mentioned running fibre in your house, you could of course but it would be an overkill and very expensive, not necessarily the cost of fibre, but the cost of equipment you would need to drive the fibre.

commuter

Standard Member
They've installed pipes under the pavement and cabinets every 20 or so houses. Outside each house is a small flap where the pipe from the cabinet is terminated. They connect a compressor to the pipe outside the house and blow a cap off the other end inside the cabinet. They then blow a fibre cable down the length of the pipe, terminate it in the cabinet and then run it through the front garden and into the house and terminate in a master socket into which they plug the hub.

In my case I will then run a cat5/6 cable under the floor and bring it up in the lounge and attach an ethernet gigabit hub to run cables off to the devices. I've not mentioned running fibre in inside the house as I realise the cost would be prohibitive

Hope this makes things clearer for you. I have a plan now I know I can run cat5/6 cables inside the home with relative ease and don't need any special kit other than cables and a distribution hub

techquest

They've installed pipes under the pavement and cabinets every 20 or so houses. Outside each house is a small flap where the pipe from the cabinet is terminated. They connect a compressor to the pipe outside the house and blow a cap off the other end inside the cabinet. They then blow a fibre cable down the length of the pipe, terminate it in the cabinet and then run it through the front garden and into the house and terminate in a master socket into which they plug the hub.

In my case I will then run a cat5/6 cable under the floor and bring it up in the lounge and attach an ethernet gigabit hub to run cables off to the devices. I've not mentioned running fibre in inside the house as I realise the cost would be prohibitive

Hope this makes things clearer for you. I have a plan now I know I can run cat5/6 cables inside the home with relative ease and don't need any special kit other than cables and a distribution hub
Absolutely clear and your one of the lucky householders for sure, wish they would do that in my area.

Your plan for the Cat copper cabling is fine, but suggest you use Cat 6 or 6a though as it is not much more expensive than Cat 5 and would stand you in good stead for the future.