• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using my LCD tv as a computer- Help!!

LeeMc

Standard Member
Hi All,
I would like to setup my Toshiba WLT66 to use as an additional computer(2 teenage daughters!)
Could anyone suggest hardware that I would need to get?
I have Virgin broadband (not wireless yet) connection so I will need to get some kind of router thing.
Also is this something a relative novice like me could do or should I get someone in?
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers
Lee

Mr Tigers

Established Member
Hey there, sounds like a good project.

We'll need a little more information on your setup before we can help, though...

I assume your current setup is as so:
* 1 computer hooked up to a monitor with a DSL cable going straight from the filter in your phone line to the modem in your computer
* 1 computer with no monitor or internet connection
* No router

If this is correct then you will need a router. The DSL cable from the filter in your phone socket will then go into your router and then use ethernet cables to connect the router to your 2 computers (or go wireless instead).

So assuming my guesses are correct, the questions are:

1) What outs do you have on the gfx card of the computer you want to connect to your TV? (This will be a selection of VGA/D-sub, DVI and HDMI)
2) What inputs does you TV have?

On the hardware side of things I would suggest a wireless mouse and keyboard or combos like the Keysonic everyone on here raves about (looks like the bottom half of a laptop).

I implore you to do this yourself! If your in/outs are suitable then this is an easy job to do. You'll have fun learning how to do all the stuff I bet you wish you knew how to do. No doubt you'll impress the wife and kids too when they can use a computer on the TV :)

LeeMc

Standard Member
Cheers Mr Tigers,
I knew this would happen- that I would need some translations.
I might have to get back to you about Question 1- no idea but I will try and find out!
Really silly question probably but... can you browse internet on telly at same time as someone is using the pc that the broadband is linked to?
Thanks again

oliphillips

Established Member
Sorry read your post again!
Sorry at moment I only one computer- so I will need another?

Yeah, if you want to use your TV as a computer, you'll need to plug one into it! For just browsing, etc, you could pick up a basic one for £100 - £200. But you could spend a bit more if you wanted more possibilities?

Mr Tigers

Established Member
If you have two computers then they can both be using the internet at the same time.

If you only have one computer then the best you can do is have your TV as either a clone of the screen or an extension of the screen. Either way only one person can control it.

So, yes to do what you want you will want a new computer and as Oli says, it doesn't need to be high spec for just internet browsing, second hand could be an option. What you could do instead however is get a laptop for the family which can be used just as a laptop for normal use but you can also hook it up to the TV when everyone wants to see the screen.

Ooooor if you want to excite people on this forum you could build a HTPC (home theatre PC) which can play DVDs, browse the internet, watch TV, record TV and myriad other things. However these are a bit trickier to set up and maintain so you'd have to be feeling confident!

LeeMc

Standard Member
Thanks again,
Not sure about the g card thingy!
My telly has loads of different inputs RGB/PC HDMI1/2 DBB COMMON INTERFACE
Does this change thinking?
Cheers

Mr Tigers

Established Member
Ok so your TV has a VGA input. This makes things easy, no need to get DVI to HDMI or anything!

If you want to connect your current computer up to the TV instead of your new one then you could just take a picture of the back plate of the gfx card so we can see if it has a VGA output. Or you can just check yourself - it'll look the same as the one on your TV.

KalC

Established Member
Hi LeeMc

The GFX card is located at the back of your computer, shown in this diagram:
Back of computer - its the one that is named "video connectors" and it will look very similar to that picture.

Your VGA output will look like this:
VGA

LeeMc

Standard Member
Hi gents,
My computer doesn't seem to have the VGA in connector like the one displayed in your link. The one I have has a similar shape but 2 rows of pins rather than 3 rows of holes and is not a solid blue colour.
Looking at the other replies I will need to buy a new computer anyway so I will make sure it has the VGA(as this will be the one connected directly to the telly), so does it matter if my original computer(the one where the wireless signal will be coming from) has it?
Appreciate your help.
Cheers
Lee

LeeMc

Standard Member
Hi Again,
I have taken a photo but cant see how I can upload for you guys to look at! See what you are working with!

LeeMc

Standard Member
I might have done it- well just the pictures!

Attachments

• vga 008.jpg
    vga 008.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 371
  • vga 007.jpg
    vga 007.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 320

Mr Tigers

Established Member
That's actually the plate for your motherboard, so it looks like you have integrated graphics. You've got DVI and VGA so all is good in the world, you can use that computer to hook up to your TV just as you would to a monitor.

All you need to do now is get your filter, router, ethernet cables (or go wireless) and a new computer! Fun lies ahead :)

EDIT: Just to note, VGA is the old standard and DVI or HDMI is the new digital standard, so when getting a new computer don't worry if it doesn't have VGA, you can always get adapters.

Last edited:

gvers

Prominent Member
That's actually the plate for your motherboard, so it looks like you have integrated graphics. You've got DVI and VGA so all is good in the world, you can use that computer to hook up to your TV just as you would to a monitor.

It looks like VGA only to me. I can't see a DVI port.

Mr Tigers

Established Member
Right you are, I only looked quickly.

A nettop is a good choice for light use. If you did want to go for a netbook instead that would be basically the same, but a bit more finicky turning on and off and setting up the screen - but then again you have the advantages of having a 'laptop'.

To save you a bit of hassle I would hold off your purchase until the 22nd October when Windows 7 comes out to save you having to reinstall or upgrade windows. And who knows - some hardware manufacturers might release new stuff to coincide with it too.

EDIT: I see your choice is on the Pc Pro A-list so it's definitely a good one. I would be wary the review is from May though so it's likely to be knocked off the top spot soon.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom