1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using my DLP as a PC Monitor

Discussion in 'TVs' started by chantman, Mar 9, 2005.

1. chantman

chantman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I just purchased a Toshiba 46" DLP. I'd like to set a computer out in my livingroom with a wireless keyboard and mouse. I want to hook it into the TV via an HDMI to DVI cable.

My question is, will the text look better than in the past when I've hooked my pc to TV's with a Svideo or Composite cable??? I.E. Will the text look clear? Also, will it look nice for gaming?

Are there any caveats???

Thanks!

2. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi chantman - where did you buy your Toshiba from? I'm trying to track down the cheapest price right now.

As for your question - its my understanding from reading many threads and posts that the Toshiba, and DLP's in general, look crisp and sharp like monitors when connected to a PC via either the VGA or HDMI connections but especially when using an all digital DVI to HDMI cable. I think its another world away from composite and s-video. Games will look fantastic - although you'll need a decent Video card.

BTW what DVD player are you using?

Cheers
    KableMan

3. chantman

chantman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey KableMan!

I bought the tv from HHGregg. It was around $2300. I don't know if it was the best price, but shipping was free. I also purchased a Pioneer Progressive Scan DVD Player. I don't know the exact model off the top of my head, I'll look when I get home. It gives a great picture. It hooks up via component video... no HDMI or DVI.

Thanks for the answer to my question. I was going to use an older computer (Duron 900mhz) w/ GeForce 5200 video card. I'm not going to do a whole lot of gaming on it, just World Of Warcraft. I have a maxed out watercooled rig in the next room. I wonder if my wife would mind me punching a whole through the wall to run a DVI cable ;)

Thanks!

4. techguy8812

techguy8812

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Chantman!

You'll definately see an improvement from the S-video, but you're going to need to set it up right. I found this guide that helped walk me through it by connection. Connect computer to TV

Once you get it going, you'll love it.

5. M0SNR

M0SNR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chantman - I'm running a Sagem HD-D45 and the picture off DVI is excellent - it makes a really good PC monitor and you should be able to use the Tosh in the same way - not sure about maximum screen resolution, but should cerainly be much better than using composite etc!

Cheers