Using my CM9's for new year party??

arambol

Standard Member
Just a few opinions really.......

Brand new B&W CM9's .... should I allow them to be used for my the new year party with laptops/ CD decks.

I have no experience of using them this way so is there any risk of feedback , surge etc or any likely damage from letting my reprobate DJ mates plugging their decks into them?

Should I play safe hire a PA system?

Cheers guys

jason1wood

Don't do it!!!!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Go the PA route.
Lsst thing you would want is someone knocking them over or putting a glass on them and marking them. Then you have the risk of someone turning the volume up too much and damaging the speakers or running the amps too hard which could cause clipping and again damage to the speakers.
Also home AV speakers are not designed for large rooms with lots of people so if they are not going to be used in your home again I would go for PA equipment designed for the task in hand.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You have to make a choice, do you want to party on New Year's or do you want to spend it babysitting your stereo, because you can't really do both.

That's the first rule of partying, it is always better to party at someone else's house, because it is up to them to worry about the stereo being blow or the furniture being trashed or the kitchen being lit on fire. But, when the party is at your house, it is up to you to worry about those things and more so to keep them under control, unless you don't care about your stereo being blown, your house being trashed, or the kitchen being set on fire.

You have some very expensive equipment, like it or not, if you wish to preserve it, then on New Year's you must spend your time guarding it with your life.

Next how big is the venue? Small club? Big Club? House? etc...?

Next the disposition of your friends, if these are young hell raising balls to the wall types, then expect mayhem. If these are quiet sophisticated people, then expect minor mayhem.

If this is in your house, then as host it is not your job to have a good time, it is your job to make sure everyone else has a good time, and in having that good time, they do not trash your place.

Now, if you want to personally let loose and have a good time, then put all the responsibility on some one else and their equipment, and hire a DJ. Or at least hire a PA system.

Again, the factors are -

- How much risk and responsibility are you personally willing to take?

- How big is the venue?

Steve/bluewizard

arambol

Standard Member
Thanks guys.

Its a 2 bed flat but with a long 10m x 5m lounge. Plenty of space for a dance floor and expecting 50/60 people so it'll be busy. Sound levels aren't an issue as the neighbours are away.

I'm running a musical fidelity XA200R and XA50 power blocks through the CM9's and I guess the DJ's after a few drinks will push the system as far as it'll go.

Hmmmm.... yes I think you're right. PA system might be a better bet.

arambol

Standard Member
Just a second thought......

Is there anything that will limit the amp/ sound level and prevent clipping?

Maybe a limiter for domestic stereos?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Common Sense it the only thing that can limit the volume of a stereo.

Your amps are 50w RMS, so your speakers can handle massively more power, so I don't see volume per-se as the issue. But clipping could be an issue. When an amp clips, it sustains at full voltage for an extended period of time. In your case that is like applying a 20 volt battery directly to the speaker terminals.

The only way to guard your stereo is to keep the volume knob below about 60% or about 1 o'clock to at the most 2 o'clock on the dial. That should be VERY loud, but should still keep clipping to a reasonable level. NOTE: these volume position assume you have a dial where straight up, 12 o'clock, is half the turn of the volume control. And, further, these are based on my experiences with a variety of amps. I've not use Pre-Amp/Power Amps systems nor have I used your specific Pre-Amp/Power Amp system.

Like I said, if you want to party, then go some where else and leave the details to some one else. But if you want to host the party, and use your house and your equipment, then you have to put aside heavy partying and take some responsibility for things. Keep a close eye on the stereo and you should be fine.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

lunarwolf

i foresee a "drunken friends ruined my CM9's" thread in early 2012

it's not going to be a happy new year

Last edited:

KUBBY

Brand new B&W CM9's .... should I allow them to be used for my the new year party with laptops/ CD decks.

Cheers guys

This is just Wrong. Please don't do this. Get PA speakers.

K.

D.D.D.

I have friend who often do weekend parties at home. Very common that on Monday morning he orders yet another set of tweeters for his Magnan Quantum 709 ;)

dlg78

Just a second thought......

Is there anything that will limit the amp/ sound level and prevent clipping?

Maybe a limiter for domestic stereos?

Maplin did do a kit that would display a visual indication of loudspeaker input levels, to avoid the onset of clipping, not sure if they still do it now but may well be worth asking them if using the CM9s is a route you have to take.

I think it was called the watt watcher, but of course there maybe an updated version of this!

arambol

Standard Member
Thanks guys.

We now reckon about 50 people at the party and I'm looking into a PA system.

Just one final question.... if I gaffer taped the amps volume to a max 60% setting and controlled the volume through the laptop/ decks would that offer any safety from clipping?

Cheers

KUBBY

You really are determined to put your rather nice new speakers at risk,aren't you?

K.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
If a PA system proves too much for you, then get a cheap amp of the classified or the bay. Plenty to choose from. Which one is not of great importance, but one that is able to do the job for that one night. .
Get a pair these wharfedale xarus 5000 floorstanding speakers | eBay also of the bay. In fact get these.

Use, abuse and rock that News years party. Sell when done.
You may loose a little on the re-sell but at least you will still have your set up and not looking into a world of pain come new years day.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Again, you have a 50w amp and 200w speakers, that gives you a margin of safety but it does not mean you are absolutely safe. You can do as you suggest, and throw a party with your speakers. That's one of the reasons why people have stereos, so they can throw parties. I've thrown countless parties with my stereo. BUT I've also been responsible enough to maintain control of my stereo equipment. And because I'm on top of things, it didn't take people long to get the idea that I was the ONLY one to mess with my stereo.

So, assuming you keep things under control, you should have no problem. But that begs the question, do you personally want to party, or do you want to guard your stereo? Because you probably can't do both.

Now I don't know your friends, I don't know how wild and irresponsible they can be. This could be fine, or this could be a disaster; it is anyone's guess. Since you can get the Wharfedale Xarus 5000 from Hughes Direct for £150/pr, you could probably use them, then later sell them for about £100. Consider that £50 rent on the speakers.

Again, absolutely yes you can make a fantastic party with you CM9 speakers, and yes you can successfully have that party without damaging the speakers. The question isn't can you, the question is will you? This is in your control, but it does require you to control the situation.

Steve/bluewizard

simplicity96

Distinguished Member
A under powered amp is more damaging to speakers than over powered. And if you wanted party speakers kef should have been the choice.

Be gentle with the cm9's

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
An underpowered amp OVERDRIVEN can be a danger, but the simply fact that it is low powered is not itself a danger.

And I repeat, it is not the amp, overpowered or underpowered, that blows speakers, it is always the guy running the volume control. If you stay below 60%, then the speakers should be plenty loud, and clipping should be contained to reasonable levels.

But that's just it isn't it. Who is the guy running the volume control and how reasonable and restrained is he?

Steve/bluewizard

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
And I repeat, it is not the amp, overpowered or underpowered, that blows speakers, it is always the guy running the volume control.

I 100% agree with that. been to too many parties where once the drinks starts kicking in and no dedicated dj, things start to go a bit nuts. Also, ban smoking to outside. seen nuff evidence of stubbed out cigarettes on speakers, wall, floors and ash inside amps and cdps.

i personally wouldn't chance it with my setup unless they were surrounded with barb wire and 24 hr security with guns:D

Last edited:

D.D.D.

We now reckon about 50 people at the party and I'm looking into a PA system.

Just one final question.... if I gaffer taped the amps volume to a max 60% setting

Do you think that taped volume control can prevent from cup of coffe or glass of wine?

Just an advice - not to use your hi-fi stuff on party...

grazzy

Standard Member
If you can get hold of a set of Logitech Z5500's I'd say they might be what you're looking for.

Imo cheap PA systems lack bass. They sound pretty loud but they lack the thumpy beat for me.

This is a video of mine on 3/4 volume in my student house. Near the end you see how much air shifted by it :).

They're not great, but if you can get a set for a cheapish price, they might be worth a look in. And they can take some serious abuse.

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Again, your system will make a fine party. The question is, do you want to party or do you want to host, because you can't effectively do both. If you want to host and take care of the stereo and everyone else, then fine. Just apply a good dose of common sense and you will have a great party.

But, if you don't feel like hosting and managing the stereo, then party at someone else's house.

If you do this, I would carry the remote control around in my pocket. If someone does turn the stereo up too loud, you can bring it back down quickly.

You also need to make an assessment of the nature of your friends. If they are wild drunken louts, then you better keep a tight rein on things. If they are reasonably civilized people, then you might be OK. Again, keep the remote handy.

In my old party house, we partied pretty hardy, but I made it crystal clear from the very beginning that no one touch my stereo. On the rare occasion when someone did, they did so with the greatest of delicacy and the utmost of caution. If that sounds like your friends, you will be fine. But if they fall more into the drunken irresponsible lout catagory, then proceed with caution.

To some extent, we can only discuss the possibilities with you, it is up to you to make your decision based on factors that we simply can't know.

Can you do this? Yes, and with great success; all things considered.

SHOULD you do this? Well, that is something only you can know.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

therixonator

Arambol, are u in London by any chance? I've got a pair of massive speakers that are perfect for parties. They go very loud and they've already had plenty of damage, mostly superficial. They're not active and need to be off the ground otherwise the bass just travels through the floor, no spikes. Anyway feel free to borrow them if on the off chance that you're local. I'm definately not precious about them!

GW43

Stop mucking about - HIRE A P.A.!

3 years ago I rented a 1000w amp and a pair of 15" speakers, delivered and collected for about £60. Stuck a MP3 player with some playlists into it and job done. I could party without worrying about the gear.

Massive (if slightly rough at the edges sound), but equally massive peace of mind.

It's a no-brainer.

arambol

Standard Member
Amazing response. Really appreciate it.

The people using the decks are professional DJ's except one who's can't mix to save his life (me), so I expect they know how to treat equipment.... but I also expect them to turn it up when they play a good tune to get the crowd going. I probably couldn't control that.

With that in mind and thanks to your advice I've now arranged to hire a pair of Mackie SRM450's for £60..... but thanks therixonator for the generous offer of speakers (yes i'm in London). That was very kind of you.

The CM9's will be retired to the cupboard for the party. :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone