Using my 60Hz USA HDTV in 50Hz Sweden

T

TheMetetron

I am from the USA and moving to Sweden in a few months. My HDTV is 60Hz. I need to know how to get it to run in 50Hz so I can use it in Sweden (FYI, my tv says it only accepts 60Hz on the panel).

Is there anything reasonably priced that can do this? Also, how do make the TV accept 220V?

Thanks in advance.

Abstrakt

Novice Member
Is there anything reasonably priced that can do this?
You’re going to need either a decent scaler or an HTPC, depending on your budget and preference. The idea is to feed your American TV set a signal it likes (e.g. 1080i/60) at all times, regardless of the source material. I’d recommend building or buying a cheap HTPC, rather than going with an expensive scaler. The result will be more or less the same: unfortunately there will always be some judder when converting 50 Hz to 60 Hz.

Another obvious solution would be to sell your current TV, before leaving the States, and buying a new one in Sweden. Most HD sets sold in Europe will accept both 50 Hz and 60 Hz inputs, so you’d be able to use American and European sources with a minimum of hassle.

Also, how do make the TV accept 220V?
You’ll need a step-down transformer. Make sure its max wattage exceeds the power requirements of your TV set and any other US gear you might want to plug into it. Stay away from cheap travel transformers and only use heavy duty gear. Get an electrician to help you out if there’s anything you’re not comfortable with.

Good luck with your move! And kiss all your beloved HDTV programming goodbye before you leave… Europe is still in the dark ages when it comes to high def channels. We’re just getting started here, so think North America circa 1998. :(

StuJB

Novice Member
Yeah, you might want to bring a good collection of DVDs and make sure you get yourself a decent internet connection when you come. TV here is pretty rubbish! Most people (just using an aeriel) only get 3 (count em) channels! If you get into a building with Comhem you'll get a few more though...

Hope you enjoy your stay in Sweden. Where are you going to?

T

TheMetetron

Can you get into more details about HTPC and where I can get one and what I need to do?

Abstrakt

Novice Member
TheMetetron said:
Can you get into more details about HTPC and where I can get one and what I need to do?
HTPC simply stands for Home Theater Personal Computer. :)

It is a very broad term used to describe a computer acting as your audio/video source. Technically, any computer whose video & audio outputs are connected to a TV can be called an HTPC… But most folks would define HTPC as a computer specifically built to sit in their home theater, in order to handle audio/video tasks exclusively. An HTPC can replace standalone DVD players, set-top-boxes, PVRs, scalers etc... by combining everything into one system while allowing more flexibility.

For more information:

Top Bottom