Using .mts files in Premier CS5 ?

guv69

I just bought a Sony HDR CX130E cam yesterday for a school play project which I was coersed to do - and recorded the kids play last night.. so far all is well!

I eventually worked out how to get the files onto a PC (That took ages - I thought it was a USB storage with drag and drop!)..... and I imported the 8GB of .mts files into premier CS5

Everything looked fine, but then realised that the footage I was viewing was a smaller footprint of the 1900 x 1080 I was using - ie it was just showing the central part for the project DVD setting and cutting everones heads and legs off!

So after a bit of reading, its clear there are numerous options and remedies... Im not panicing yet - but acutely aware I need to get 50 mastered and menu'd copies of this disc to the school by Monday!

So quick questions with easy answers (I hope!)

Can CS5 work with the .mts file and re-encode so that it downsizes the frame for DVD usage? (If yes, can you tell me what setting I need to use?)

If not....

From what Ive seen, people recommend converting..... but to what for best use (and what free software to do it!)? I also noticed somethimg mentioned that simply changes something to the file without re-encoding (ie so a quicker process) but the link given (on this forum) wasnt active.

So much time.... and so little time to do it! Apolgies for asking a question which Im sure if I dug deep enough I would get the answer. I have looked.... and my problem is if I left it until I got home and didnt find anything, I'd not have the time to ask you guys and end up with an unhappy school without a finished disc!

Many thanks for your time...

PS I love the Sony HDR CX130E cam I've owned for under a day! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Emerton

Start a new sequence but select a matching (full HD) profile. It will downscale it when you export to dvd (via Encore).

guv69

Start a new sequence but select a matching (full HD) profile. It will downscale it when you export to dvd (via Encore).

Could you clarify?

I'm not sure what you mean and I'm probably not going to use Encore either!

Emerton

1. Open the project (you say the .MTS files are already imported).
2. Go to 'File' > 'New' > 'Sequence...'
3. Select an 'Available Preset' that best matches your .MTS files. (probably AVCHD > 1080i)
4. Click OK and a new Sequence (ie; blank timeline) will appear.
5. Drag a .MTS clip to the timeline and the clip should match the size of the Source Monitor.

guv69

Thanks for that... I'll give that a go when I get home.

And this is generally the best way to deal with .mts when using premier and wanting to make a DVD from HD 1080i clips?

Emerton

No, it is best to start with project settings that match the files you are importing, (or as near as poss) but you say you have already started a project, so stay with it. If you have imported the files it will cause (even more!) confusion to have 2 projects going with the same content in both.

guv69

To be honest, the project is only 2 .mts files (49 mins and 20 mins) so it would literally take me a few minutes to reassemble the project and even edit the cuts I have.

So I assume, I need to redo the project as AVCHD from the beginning?

Emerton

Yes, restart as an AVC-HD project, and delete what you have so far.
If it is going on a dvd it will have to be recoded to Standard Def, Hi-Def on DVD is not recognised by many players (I don't know which ones).

guv69

Yes, restart as an AVC-HD project, and delete what you have so far.
If it is going on a dvd it will have to be recoded to Standard Def, Hi-Def on DVD is not recognised by many players (I don't know which ones).

Cheers. I jumped the gun and done this anyway.

I've selected it to be for DVD widescreen in the export. It'll be this and 2 sets of still images going into the menu with audio and chapter pages. I have Encore, but if I'm honest don't think I have neally enough time to learn how to use it properly.

guv69

yikes........ Using the method suggested above so far hasnt given me good results!

I've recreated the project using AVCHD as the source setting. Having edited, I exported the file using the settings for a DVD and at 8000KBps output... The result was a 3.2GB mpg file. It seemed to be fine!

So I then imported into Encore and after a crash course, have worked out how to add menus, chapters and generally a good finished product........ So I then created an image (telling it not to re-encode the main video)

Everything looks great... apart from a couple of things!

The video itself, has what appears to be interlace problems. This can be seen in the source files, which I played over my network and my XBMC setup, but seems OK on this PC. I just figured that was an XBMC software problem.

Its fine when there is no fast movement, but then I end with jagged edges on that movement. Not what Id hoped!

I'm unsure if this is thecamera / media used or my efforts.

EDIT: I can now see this interlace type problem has been introduced in Premier. Ive just viewed the original footage from the cam on a TV and thats fine. But the m2v file that was created from Premier is where the jaggies start from!

I'm going to have another go, but this time converting the .MTS file outside premier and into an AVI file.

Its this aspect thats most confusing...... These are important steps in how the final project will appear, but most online stuff Ive read seems very matter of fact in its description, without spelling out these important aspects!

And the only other shortcoming Ive seen in this project.......

In the menu, I used the animated TV menu, which is set to loop after approx 30 seconds. However, I wanted audio also - which is 3 mins long. Everything appears fine and its been set to loop, however, it starts fine, but then audio continues without the animation after 30 seconds..... Anyone know how to fix that? Its probably an easy one, but I cant see it so far!

For me now, time is running out, so I really would appreciate a few pointers here...

Many thanks

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom