Using monitor for xbox

M

Matt01

Just a couple of queries here,
Just wondering whether this monitor, http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=0&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=117211 would be a good choice to use with my xbox since I really cant afford to buy a HDTV, any experiences with it or recommendations for others appreciated.

Also, with the monitor, i plan to buy the Xbox Official Vga HdAv cable and am aware that a rca to mini jack adaptor is included within it. The HannsG has integrated speakers so i am wondering whether there is anything else i may need to buy to make this work.
Thanks, matt.

Hi,

I can't stress enough that to get the best enjoyment out of the XBox 360, you need a WideScreen monitor. If you go with that 5:4 non widescreen one, 99% of your games will either:

1. have big black bars across top & bottom to make it pseudo-widescreen (see: Blue Dragon, Dead Rising... well most any game), OR

2. it will stretch the game up vertically to fill screen, resulting in very skinny looking people & skewed graphics (see: Dead Or Alive Xtreme 2).

The only game I ever played that didn't stretch vertically, or add bars, was Dead Or Alive 4.

Also, it would be in your best interests to not go for a Hannspree, I had the 19" WS edition and it had a bunch of dead pixels, my mate has a 17" for his pc and has dead pixel as well (though he tries to deny it :lesson:).

Ico.

Does the widescreen/4:3 setting in the 360 menu not make a difference?:confused:

M

Matt01

Huh??
Does that mean i can use this monitor without any problems??

Also since this one does not have integrated speakers will it mean i will need to buy a 3.5mm to 3.55mm stereo socket to connect the speakers?

Ico.

Huh??
Does that mean i can use this monitor without any problems??

Also since this one does not have integrated speakers will it mean i will need to buy a 3.5mm to 3.55mm stereo socket to connect the speakers?

I'm not saying that it makes a difference it might not that is why I'm asking the question. Hopefully someone will be along with some experience.

I have a spare decent monitor (not widescreen) lying about that I've been considering using occasionally when the misses wants to watch some quality TV.

Not sure about the sound though although my monitor does have speakers attached anyway, or I could always rewire my surround sound so wifey cannot hear the TV!

Earlyflash

I had lots of trouble getting PGR3 to work on a normal (not widescreen) monitor. The aspect ratio was just always wrong.

Switched to a widescreen display, and it's absolutely great.

I wouldn't suggest a non-widescreen for the xbox at all - too much hassle, and you are missing out quite a bit.

That Acer one is quite well known and a good buy, however after setting up your 360 on it using auto config, you'll have to increase the clock frequency (eg. stretch the image ever so slightly) a little to put it back to 16:9 (as opposed to the monitors native 16:10).

Using a 4:3 or 5:4 monitor is a big no no. Setting the output to normal gives you the issues I stated earlier. Setting it to widescreen makes ALL games stretch vertically. The only option is a ws monitor :smashin:

SkilledNutter

M

Matt01

Thanks for the advice Zebrahead, i think i'll stick with the acer then.:)
The Hyundai certainly looks good, but a little out of my budget, and probably a little too big for my desk.

M

Matt01

And by the way, how would i go about increasing the clock frequency??:rolleyes:

It's on the LCD on screen display :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom