Using monitor and pj concurrently

KraGorn

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I've spent hours trying to do this and have utterly failed .. it MUST be possible, surely. :confused:

I've got a Radeon 9600, connected to an LCD panel monitor via the DVI socket and a Panny AE300 via the VGA. I configure port 1, the VGA, using Pstrip to set 960 by 540 as needed by the AE300 and set port 2 to 1280x1024 for the LCD. I configure port 2 as the primary and check "extend my desktop" on port 1.

I thus have the desktop sitting on the LCD, click "Identify" in the Settings dialogs and a big 1 appears on the LCD and a 2 on the PJ.

Great, excellent, methinks, now all I do is run TheaterTek and tell it to display the video on monitor 2 ...

... :eek: ... how :confused:

I can't see how to make TT use monitor 2, unlike PowerDVD I can't even drag it over there much less configure it like PDVD can be configured .. mind you, even though I configure PDVD to display on the secondary IT still does so on the primary.

I tried swapping things round, using port 1 to the LCD and port s via a DVI->VGA adaptor to the PJ, making port 1 the primary ... still nothing.

Is it POSSIBLE to so this? All I can achieve so far is to have the desktop on both ports, meaning I drive the LCD at 960x540 like the PJ, which is not sustainable in the long term.

I'm using Catalyst 3.7, tried 3.8 to no effect.

Please some one, what's the magic incantation. :rolleyes:

Hi Mate,

In my setup (HS10 and LCD monitor) The DVD playback from ThearterTek will only play on the primary monitor, not both. To get it on the AE300, you need to make that the primary monotor. This is from memory so it may not be exact, but try it.

-right click on the desktop
-selct properties
-click on the far right tab (maybe settings?)
-click advanced
-click on the ATI monitors tab
-make the AE300 the primary monitor
-click apply.

I am unsure whether this will work unless the resolution is set to 960*540 for the PJ.

Hope it helps.

Rob

Hi Rob,

That means though AIUI that the desktop runs on the PJ at 960x540 since the desktop appears on the primary device ... the LCD as the secondary therefore can't be used for the desktop and so is kind of redundant. :(

I have been running like this, without the LCD just using the PJ, but it's a PITA navigating the system and operating TheaterTek or PowerDVD using it, I was hoping to "operate" the programs on the LCD while just having the video overlay playing on the PJ.

Looks like I assumed dual-monitor operation was something it isn't. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, maybe a prog. scan DVD is a better bet, certainly far more user-friendly than running the desktop on the PJ.

Thanks for setting me straight. :)

You can run your setup like this. The start start menu can live on the secondary just make sure it's set to unlocked and drag it across to the LCD screen. All icons on the desktop can also be moved between monitors. You can use Hydravision or Ultramon to control which monitor applications start up in. I use a touch screen LCD panel with a CRT projector only video overlays appears on the projector display.

I used to have a Radeon VE, and that would display identical images on both my DVI projector and VGA monitor at the same time. The newer drivers don't seem to allow that, so I now use Alt F5 to switch between displays using dual monitor mode.

If you can get some older drivers, that may work for you. With my VE, I initialy only ran VGA to my old projector, then when I got the new pj, I connected a monitor onto the vga, and DVI into the pj. Surprisingly, the DVD playback image on the pj was perfect, and so was the image on the monitor.

Why the newer drivers don't allow this I've no idea. When running both, the image drops frames and has tearing, so isn't really watchable.

Gary.

Originally posted by BBD
The start start menu can live on the secondary just make sure it's set to unlocked and drag it across to the LCD screen.
:eek: ... I've used NT/2K/XP for years and NEVER knew that.

Thanks ... off to do some playing. :D

Originally posted by BBD
The start start menu can live on the secondary just make sure it's set to unlocked and drag it across to the LCD screen.
Finally manged to do it ... for a long time the taskbar got hung-up on the edges of the primary screen, but then it lurched over to the secondary.

Now all I've got to figure is how to make apps. open on the secondary, having the taskbar on the LCD isn't much use if the apps. open on the PJ still. :confused:

I don't seem to have Hydravision ... I never installed the drivers off the CD I went straight for the downloaded Catalyst drivers.

Ah! I see it's a separate download ... glad I don't have to use a modem ;)

Glad to hear your making progress. Once you've got to grips with Hydravision try Ultramon as well. It's available as a 30 day free trail. I think it's better than Hydravision but it's not free. Surprisingly I have been able to use both packages at the same time without any problems.

Managed to get a basic system established ... much to do and the occasional annoyance but still plenty of things to twiddle. :D

Thanks all, I've learned something today. :smashin:

Originally posted by Rob.Screene
I think you just add /MON 2 to the end of the TheaterTek shortcut.
e.g.
"c:\program files\TheaterTek\TheaterTek.exe" /MON 2
Damn, now you mention it I remember stumbling across that list of command-line options before and proceeded to completely forget about it :blush:

Thanks for the reminder. :smashin:

'Fraid I never got to try it .. after playing around for a short while I reached the conclusion using an LCD monitor to drive the thing while playing the DVD on the PJ was more trouble that it's worth, so now the secondary is a clone of the primary, which is the pj, so this is no longer an issue for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom