• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using meridian 555 for bi amp ing?

upgradebug

Standard Member
Please could someone tell me if it is possible to use 2 meridian 555's to bi amp speakers? Pre amp is a meridian 568! Any ideas on this would be great many thanx

cosmicma

Established Member
i see no reason why you couldn't

dogfonos

Prominent Member
Agree with cosmicma in that you probably could.

Question I would ask is Why? If you have a spare 555, or can pick up one real cheap, then I could understand but if you have to pay decent money for another 555, I can't see that as a cost effective upgrade. Wouldn't that money be better put towards upgrading speaker or amp?

Do your speakers have bi-wiring/bi-amping connections or will you need to separate the crossovers to create them?

Doomlord_uk

Prominent Member
Yes you can. All you'd need would be splitters for your leads from pre- to power amps. This is of course assuming that your speakers can be bi-amped.

Whether you need to is determined by how much power you need to make available to your speakers for your given desire volume level. Doubling the power will give you an extra 3dBs of headroom - not that much, given the cost when you think about it but could make the difference if you are driving your speakers hard enough.

upgradebug

Standard Member
Many thanx for your info, my speakers are kef rdm 1's. Would running mids from one amp and tweeters from other not make a noticeable difference?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom