• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using MediaPortal do I need Vista Media Centre?

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Not in my normal thread as it's vaguely unrelated... i've been having a few issues with Vista and it got me thinking, if one is using Mediaportal, do you even need Vista Home Premium - as far as my understanding goes, the only benefit to Home Premium is the fact that you get Media Centre included.... and as i'm not planning on using it could actually get away with a lesser version of Vista and thus have a smaller install footprint?

Am i mad? That's not rhetorical btw...

dmce

Hello again :hiya: Dont think you do. It will also install on XP. Vista Premium or Ultimate is required for VMC because they are the ones that actually include VMC. Would you actually save resources if you went for a Vista Basic? i.e. How would Vista Premium and VMC compare to Vista Basic + Mediaportal(plus its TV server)

I wont advise you not to try MediaPortal but as much as i want to use it i dont think i will. For me it looks so much better than VMC but i found it slower than and it didnt feel as stable, but it is very useable. I think i would have given it more time if i didnt want to watch TV via my HTPC.

What issues were you having with Vista?

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Hello again :hiya: Dont think you do. It will also install on XP. Vista Premium or Ultimate is required for VMC because they are the ones that actually include VMC. Would you actually save resources if you went for a Vista Basic? i.e. How would Vista Premium and VMC compare to Vista Basic + Mediaportal(plus its TV server)

I wont advise you not to try MediaPortal but as much as i want to use it i dont think i will. For me it looks so much better than VMC but i found it slower than and it didnt feel as stable, but it is very useable. I think i would have given it more time if i didnt want to watch TV via my HTPC.

What issues were you having with Vista?

Hi Again - maybe i should've posted on my other thread! :clap:

Unsure on the actual physical footprint saved, but not having Aero installed etc and all the other stuff that comes with them saves an awful lot of hard disc space (try my fresh install without MediaPortal is currently 2.1Gb fully up to date, without access to an install of Vista Ultimate i can't compare... but from memory that's nearer 8Gb in total - i'd be surprised if MediaPortal were 6Gb!)

My Vista issue currently extends to the fact that i have a EDIT(mod):removed Vista Ultimate sat here, the one i was planning on using... EDIT(mod):which will not install. i've tried a copy of Vista Basic i have (OEM) and it has installed fine!

I was always planning on using MediaPortal anyway, hence my question

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom