1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Media PC, DVD & Sky - PDP506XDE or Pana TH50PHD8 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by StephenDone, Oct 11, 2005.

1. StephenDone

StephenDone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to order a plasma screen in the next week or so, hoping to get the lounge ready for some film viewing over Christmas.

I (think!) I have narrowed my choice down to the Pioneer 506XDE and the Panasonic TH50PHD8. Call me vain, but I have basically ruled out the PV500 range because they are so deep and visually not as neat as my first two choices, protruding 15-20cm from the wall once hung.

I am not trying to rekindle a 'which one is best' debate, but want to make sure I haven't overlooked any part of the spec that will cause me fundamental problems. Having read several posts on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that the published specs of many screens are quite inaccurate.

I plan to use the screen with Sky, DVD and a Media PC running XP MCE 2005. The PC has DVI-D output and will be used to play the DVDs too. I currently have Sky+ and will suscribe to the HDTV service when it comes out. I want to be able to surf the Internet on the PC on the HDMI/DVI-D input.

So here's the 'gotcha' list the springs to mind, which may be the decider between the two, though I bet you can think of more:
    # Will both screens display the output from a PC running windows ? I have heard that some screens will only run TV resolution/scan rate over HDMI. I don't want to run the PC over RGB/15way Sub-D if I can help it.
    # Will I be able to run full panel resolution when using the PC ?
    # Will both screens be capable of running the SKY HDTV service through an HDMI input ?

Please let me know if you know that any of the scenarios I list above could cause either display a problem. The proof is in the pudding, not the spec sheet!

Thanks for any help with the 'deciding factors'

Steve

2. StephenDone

StephenDone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone must have some experience in this !

3. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Panasonic will take digital, native resolution from the PC at 60Hz. The Pioneer won't, it will need you to run 1280x720 and suffer some rescaling.

With the DVD, Sky HD, and HCPC you don't really have any need for a media box either!

I would go the Panny for sure. Couple of DVI inputs, or a DVI and HDMI (PC and Sky HD). VGA will run Sky from an RGB to VGA converter. Pre-installed S-video for your backup DVD deck... if you even need to connect that at all assuming the HCPC will cover DVD duties.

4. StephenDone

StephenDone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Liam,

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards the Panasonic after doing some research, so I think that will help the decision.

Cheers

Steve

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    If you need another vote for the Panasonic, here's mine. The XDE is not intended for PC use, it's just a telly for Joe public to plug in. The only decent PC input is on the front panel of the media box, VGA, which though it takes native res, only at 60Hz, and screen internal native, 56.25, both of which will judder like hell on PAL material.

6. StephenDone

StephenDone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking at prices and the Panasonic can be had anywhere in mainland Europe for about 700 quid less than I have seen it in the UK. Is it the same model that is being sold there as here ? I would imagine so - 220/240Volt PAL/SECAM all oer Europe.

If so, that's another vote for the Pansonic, since I can get the Panasonic and add a 5 year guarantee/insurance in the UK and still have it for less than I can buy a Pioneer in the UK _or_ Europe. There must be a catch and I am hoping to work it out BEFORE I order !

Any thoughts ?

Steve