Using Main in on intergrated amp

Andysk

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but I'm just a little frustrated with not being to find anything specific related to this.

I have a Nad c356 bee intergrated that I picked up used. This amp has the bindings for main in and pre out.

I was wanting to add this to my av receiver for better 2 channel music. Now I understand that you have to go from l/r pre outs on the av receiver ( done) to main in on the Nad. Cutting off the Preamp and volume etc on the Nad. When I've done this I have been able to recalibrate the sound and everything is working fine for things going through the av receiver.

Now my frustration. My understanding is that you should be able to connect all your music sources to the intergrated thereby getting the benifit of both world. Unfortunately when I connect my dac (which is being fed from my music server) I get no sound at all. If the dac is plugged in by RCA to let's say the cd input and I switch to cd there is nothing.

I'm I missing something? When I just attach the music server to the intergrated without the av being in the loop it works just fine. If I am supposed to attach everything to the av would that not effect the outcome I'm trying to achieve.

Any help would be great, been trying to figure this out.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum.

I have had a look at the user manual and you do have the correct connection from the AV amp to the NAD. You remove the connections between the main and the pre-out 2 RCA. It should then be a simple selection on the front panel or remote.

I would contact NAD support for assistance.

I am waiting for Nad support to get back to me. Is there anyone else that might have an idea

Are the preout and main in connections normally connected by 2 metal links that you removed to use the main in?

Your amp doesn't have HT bypass as such but by removing the links you've now got a stereo preamp and a stereo power amp.

I've used a similar NAD amp in the past but with a literal HT bypass using a separate RCA switch box, specifically 2 inputs switched to one output.

Connect the 2 inputs of the switcher to the preout on your AV amp and the NAD and connect the output to the main in.

A proper built in HT bypass mode is probably more convenient but I found the separate switcher box worked really well.

Welcome. I’m pretty sure the theory on the NAD’s is that you can use as integrated then later use as either a pre or a power with another item. As you have it now you’re using the NAD as a power amp for 2 channels (presumably left and right front) from your AV amp (it now acting as the preamp for the NAD’s power section. As such nothing you connect to the NAD as a source will be available to hear only sources connected to your AV.

Thank you both for the quick response and help.

Jamie to answer your questions yes the main and preout are normally connected by a metal piece. I had taken them out to run the preouts from the av to the main in. In relation to the use of a switcher to be clear I would run rca out of the l/r preouts on my av receiver to one input, then run rca from the pre out of the Nad to the other input of the switch, then the output of the switch to the "main in" on the Nad. Is this correct?

Mary Whitehouse question for you: that theory had been going around in my head and makes a lot of sense. If I decide not to go the switch way is there a way around your theory that would be cheaper than buying a new intergrated? And if not if I decide to buy new, can I run the Nad as a power amp and how would I go around that?

Thanks you guys again for your help.

Mary Whitehouse question for you: that theory had been going around in my head and makes a lot of sense. If I decide not to go the switch way is there a way around your theory that would be cheaper than buying a new intergrated? And if not if I decide to buy new, can I run the Nad as a power amp and how would I go around that?

To answer, and not answer. If you don't go the switch route you'll need to run two systems, an AV and a 2ch system. From what you've said the NAD would then be the integrated in the 2ch system?

Jamie to answer your questions yes the main and preout are normally connected by a metal piece. I had taken them out to run the preouts from the av to the main in. In relation to the use of a switcher to be clear I would run rca out of the l/r preouts on my av receiver to one input, then run rca from the pre out of the Nad to the other input of the switch, then the output of the switch to the "main in" on the Nad. Is this correct?
Yes correct. So w hi rn switched to the first input the switch is essentially replacing the link bars and in the other position it's connecting the pre outs of the AV amp to the power amp of the NAD.

You need an automatic Speakercraft, or a Sonance switch. The output goes to the MAIN IN, input 1 / A / default is the PRE OUT and input 2 / B the AVR's stereo pre-out.

There are also manual switches, which are somewhat cheaper but less convenient.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom