Using Legacy Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR with LG CX and PS5

specialbrew84

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to purchase the PS5 alongside a 55" LG CX, but wish to keep my current Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR.

From doing some research I have found a few possible ways of doing this, but all seems to have pros and cons. Can someone here with better knowledge/experience than me offer some advice on which would be best, or perhaps even a better option.

To begin with I want to be able to play games and watch content at a minimum of 4k 60fps HDR, with 5.1 surround sound (Dolby Digital or DTS). If possible I'd like to be able to use 4k 120fps (for when games support this) and DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD (as I will also use the PS5 for apple tv, amazon prime, 4k bluray etc) + variable refresh rate

Option 1

Connect PS5 to TV using HDMI 2.1, use a 2nd HDMI port on TV to the AVR to send eARC to the receiver's 'monitor out' HDMI which has ARC.

Pros: Full 4k 120FPS video, variable refresh rate and simply requires an extra HDMI cable for audio return
Cons: My TV is wall mounted with cables chased into the wall, am not sure I have enough space in the wall for another HDMI cable to pass through. Will eARC work ok with ARC on the old Onkyo receiver, will tv pass good enough HD audio over audio return and can eARC come out of different HDMI port than PS5 is connected to?

Option 2

Use an HDMI AVR Key to split HDMI from PS5 (one to TV, on to AV receiver) e.g. HDfury AVR Key - The Media Factory

Pros: No need for extra audio return from TV
Cons: More expensive, can only handle 4k at 60fps, no HDMI 2.1 for variable refresh rate etc

Option 3

Use a cheap HDMI audio splitter from PS5 to send audio over optical to AVR e.g. Amazon product ASIN B07TZRXKYG
Pros: No need for extra audio return from TV, cheaper than AVR Key
Cons: can only handle 4k at 60fps, no HDMI 2.1 for variable refresh rate etc, poorer quality non HD 5.1 audio over optical (SPDIF)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited:
At this point in time and unless someone brings an HDMI version 2.1 audio extractor to market, there is no workaround that will facilitate you being able to both convey the HDMI video to your TV inclusive of any or all of the benefits accociated with HDMI version 2.1 while also simultaneously conveying HD audio to your current AV receiver.

Even if using an HDMI audio extractor, there's not currently any such devices available that are HDMI version 2.1 compliant. There are devices that allow you to split the HDMI feed into both a video and a audio signal, but as I've suggested, they aren't HDMI version 2.1 compliant. The most notable example would probably be the HDFury AVR Key.

Your AV receiver isn't eARC compliant so neither can you pass the HD or multichannel PCM audio through your TV and out to your AV receiver.

Thanks for the reply.

So for now a cheaper SPDIF audio splitter is best, which will only use HDMI 2.0 and then upgrade to a 2.1 HDMI splitter at a later point when they come onto the market? I'm fine with just 5.1 Dolby digital or DTS audio to begin with too.

Also, although my AVR doesn't have eARC, can you not set the TV to send non HD 5.1 audio to the receiver that will work with ARC?

If using one of the cheaper S/PDIF splitters then you are still not going to be able to convey the HDMI version 2.1 specific video data through it. You'll not find such a splitter on the market that is HDMI version 2.1 compliant.

ARC is limited to SD 5.1 formatted audio or 2 channel PCM. You cannot convey 5.1 or 7.1 HD formatted audio via ARC. Only eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel)) will allow you to convey TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio or multichannel PCM. The best you can hope for via conventional ARC is SD DD+.

Apart from its ability to convey DD+. conventional ARC is no better than S/PDIF optical when it comes to what you can convey.

That is fine, no PS5 games will be in 4K 120fps at launch, so HDMI 2.0 at 4K 60fps is all I need to begin with.

I am also fine with SD 5.1 to begin with too. So looks like it is a choice between option 1 and 3 for now and spend more money once 2.1 audio extractors are released.

All audio associated with games is ordinarily output as multichannel PCM if using an HDMI connection. This is to allow the console to mix in sounds it creates into the audio sourced via the game itself. You can force a console to bitstream the audio and not decode it, but you'd lose the effects and or audio created by the console if doing this. Games consoles don't bitstream game audio by default and forcing them to do so has consequences relating to what you'd get.

As explained, you cannot convey multichannel PCM via either S/PDIF optical or via conventional ARC. This is why most gamers want eARC for.

You could force the console to bitstream the game audio, but you lose any audio created by the console itself while doing so.

Ah ok, that makes sense, thank you for explaining it.

So that means go with option 2 for now, and upgrade to a 2.1 version once released.

Will try and find out when that might be, as if not too far away, it will be better to wait for that, rather than have to shell out twice.

Also, why are you proposing using an S/PDIF audio extractor? This is not required and has no benefits over using conventional ARC. Your TV and AV receiver can use ARC and are ARC enabled so why the need to extract the audio from the HDMI feed prior to it reaching your TV and send the audio to the AV receiver via optical?

Purely because my console and AVR are not near my TV, I currently use a 7m hdmi cable to the TV and because it is chased into the wall (hdmi and power) am not sure there is enough space in the wall chasing to fit another HDMI lead for ARC back to the AVR. So splitting it out first makes more sense.

I'd suggest you make do with SD audio for now and use ARC from the TV to the AV receiver. I'd save the money you'd have spent on an HDFury AVR Key and put that toqards a newer AV receiver.

Purely because my console and AVR are not near my TV, I currently use a 7m hdmi cable to the TV and because it is chased into the wall (hdmi and power) am not sure there is enough space in the wall chasing to fit another HDMI lead for ARC back to the AVR. So splitting it out first makes more sense.

You may have issues in the future with that arrangement. especially if ever wanting to convey 4K/120 encoded video from one of the new gen consoles to said HDMI version 2.1 equipped TV. You'd need 48Gbps compliant HDMI cables to do this and longer length cables are going to be more susceptible to issues such as dropouts.

Sorry, I thought you said ARC couldn't handle the multichannel PCM and if I force it to be bitstream I will lose some functionality of console.

You will, but I'm at a loss as to what you've gained if you are able to convey the multichannel PCM audio to the AV receiver via the AVR Key, but unable to passthrough the HDMI version 2.1 video signal to the TV? THe AVR Key will not comply with what is required to passthrough the additional HDMI version 2.1 features? What is the difference between what you've proposed and simply connecting the console directly to your older AV receiver. You'd get the exact same results.

ok, thanks for the info, what is the max length of HDMI cable recommended for 48Gbps?

6m is being suggested, but thr shorter the cable then the better the chances of you not experiencing issues.

You will, but I'm at a loss as to what you've gained if you are able to convey the multichannel PCM audio to the AV receiver via the AVR Key, but unable to passthrough the HDMI version 2.1 video signal to the TV? THe AVR Key will not comply with what is required to passthrough the additional HDMI version 2.1 features? What is the difference between what you've proposed and simply connecting the console directly to your older AV receiver. You'd get the exact same results.

Because I can still get 4k 60FPS HDR sent to the TV using the AVR key with HDMI 2.0, I don't need 120FPS and variable refresh rate to begin with. I can't get this through my old AVR alone, so need to split this first, or use ARC with bitrate audio only.

Ok, thanks.
Hi!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm wondering where you got to with this?

I have a similar AV receiver at present (Onkyo 615) which I want to retain when I upgrade my TV. Currently my Sky Q, BR player and other inputs feed into the AVR with 1 HDMI cable going to the TV. I was hoping to buy the LG CX myself, but have found myself looking at the Samsung Q95 in the hope that I could use the One Connect box to attach all my sources and use the eARC out to feed the ARC of the Onkyo amp.

If you got your setup working to allow you to watch 4K content with at least DD 5.1 going to the AVR, that would work for me!

Cheers

Yes, got it all working fine.

PS4 into TV and AV receiver on HDMI port 2. All sound from PS4 or any TV content plays in 5.1 dolby digital (where available) over ARC, 4k content looks great too on the CX. Massive step up from my 12 year old Samsung LED TV.

It’s not HD surround sound, but honestly not sure I would be able to tell the difference. Certainly not worth upgrading the AV receiver just for that in my opinion.

For you, plug everything into the tv, with the AV receiver on port 2. Unless you have more than 3 other input devices, which would either then require switching, or a new AV receiver. Although I’ve heard the AVRs claiming to have HDMI 2.1 have had some issues, so might need to wait a while.

You’ll need to set the TV sound output to eARC and change the HDMI settings on the receiver to allow ARC. Mine then plays the tv sound on the tv/cd input selector

Superb mate - thanks very much. I've got to admit, the difference between Dolby Digital and TrueHD on Bluray isn't earth shattering. I think like you it's going to be much more of stark contrast comparing 4K content on the LG to my 10 year old Panny Plasma!

Cheers for the quick reply :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom