Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Using LCD TV as a computer monitor

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Derek22, Jan 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

I am interested in using a large screen TV as a monitor for my PC which is located in the living room, so used at a distance, and its used for text not just browsing.

I have tried an LG plasma but wasnt impressed, the most usable resolution was 800*600. All the other resolutions tried simply didnt read that well, not even close up. 800*600 I presume being closest match to the native resolution of the panel, but seems a waste on such a large panel and as website optimize for larger screen sizes I reckon will be become awkward to operate.

Is any one using an LCD display like this and if so what are you experiences? I am thining about a 32 inch lcd and it would also be used for SKY and DVD but not analogue reception.

AT the moment I have the pc running via svideo to a 12 month old 32 inch sony TV and for general browsing thats fine but working with fine text its awkward. eg reading the words under an icon is far from easy. Oh I should also point out I would intend to use a DSUB connection as my unit doesnt have a dvi connector.

Thanks for any advice.

2. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Using my Sharp LC-32GA4E as a PC monitor with DVI... blown away is all I can say...

HL2 with 1280x768 in 16:10 format is just amazing and every text is razor sharp even from a few feet distance.

LCD is the only way to use a TV as a PC monitor. :thumbsup:

3. bizarrefish

bizarrefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is exactly my thought too, hence why I am getting an LCD although a 2005 model when they're released. Cant wait for the thought of HL2 at 32-37".... lovely.

Richard

4. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

i was thinking of the toshiba 32wl48p but just found this worrying bit of text from the online owners manual. I cant understand why an LCD with so many pixels will only support such a limited resolution. Are they all like this??

obviosuly its nice to have access to the smaller resolutions, but cant undertsand why they dont support native resolution from a PC as well.

Connect the PC cable from the computer to the PC
    terminal on the back of the television.
    Press the Bto select PC mode.
    The following signals can be displayed:
    VGA: 640 x 480/60 Hz (VESA 480-60)
    SVGA: 800 x 600/60 Hz (VESA 600-60)
    XGA: 1024 x 768/60 Hz (VESA 768-60)
    PLEASE NOTE:
    Some PC models cannot be connected to this
    television.
    An adaptor is not needed for computers with a DOS/V
    compatible mini D-sub 15p terminal.
    A band may appear at the edges of the screen or parts
    of the picture may be obscured. This is due to the
    strength of the signal, it is not a malfunction.
    When PC input mode is selected some of the
    television’s features will be unavailable e.g Manual
    setting in the SET UP menu, Colour, Tint, DNR and

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Its unfortunately a fairly common situation. The Loewes and Sharp GA3/4, GD1's can display native but there are very few other actual TV's, if any.

-Ian

6. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tosh 27" LCD hooked up with DVI. It's awesome, text is clear from 3-4 metres. It's fantastic for using the internet as well as games, DVDs, etc.

7. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Nick,

would you mind telling us what resolution you are running the screen and also what graphics card you are using for DVI.

8. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    well i am totally confused now as to which LCD TVs can or cant display a decent size screen, without large black bars and the text is as readable as an lcd screen.

can people let me know if you are using an LCD TV with a PC via the VGA port and get full native resolution or a decent size display where text is clear at a distance. I was looking at a 32 inch tv but would also consider 30inch.

so far I think one of the few I have found is the tosh 30wl46. :confused:

9. bizarrefish

bizarrefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I have it wrong too but I thought that to get an LCD to go native with a pc signal its the Graphics card (more the driver really) that needs to support the resolution? I think when they mention the standard res's as supported I think thats because they do have to scale them acccordingly. If you were to chuck a native 1080i signal into the back of an LCD from a PC it would happily display it. The problem you have is 1. Most graphics cards do not follow TV based scaling. 2. Most LCD's at the moment are not native 1080i and so the true native signal is 1366x768 which means without down scaling the pc signal is limited by the 768 width and as you cannot go to that resolution on most graphics cards yet you do get the black bars.

Maybe somone will correct me as I'm not 100% sure on this.

Richard

10. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    from what i have found so far its a combination of both, ie what the grapics card in th pc will support and what the lcd tv will support via the input port you are using. it doesnt appear a lot of lcd tvs support the native resolution via vga or dvi.

I can only assume the manufacturers are protecting their profits from the LCD monitor market, minimising their build costs, or finally i am wrong.

AT the moment I ma reluctant to purchase an LCD TV untill i see what its use with fine text is like. I got the opertunity to try and LG plasma, with text best resolution was only 800*600, which didnt impress.

11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been trying a budget Acer LCD 26" TV. It makes an excellent PC display at 1280 x 768 using the DVI input; I suspect it would be fine from the DSub input at well.

Tim

12. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My GD1E (G3/4 too) supports 1024x768, 1280x768 and 1366x768. I hook it up via DVI. In 1366x768 there are strange vertical lines (the timing isn't right?) and I wasn't able to get rid of them yet. Anybody know how to use a G4/G3 or GD1 with its native resolution?

If I set my PC to 1280x768, GD1E to 1280x768 aswell the picture is perfect. Now I can choose if I want point to point mode or full.

13. bizarrefish

bizarrefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be the frequency of the signal as most tv inputs run at 50hz in Europe whereas the lowest PC rated signal is rated at 60hz. Not sure you will be able to solve that. Does the manual state PC support at that res?

14. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    McE,

Are you using Powerstrip ? Someone else did have a similar problem but can't remember who. Check out Ironduke, I think he used another set of drivers for his Sharp.

15. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yes, this is a good choice of screen if you only want to hook up a PC via the DVI socket. The screen is a native 1280x720, which almost all PCs with DVI digital cards will have no problem driving fullscreen with 1:1 pixel mapping (unlike the 1366x768 screens).

But its DVI input isn't HDCP compliant, so it isn't suitable for DVI DVD players or future HDTV or HD-DVD.

James

16. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry mate for the slow reply!

I'm using an nVidia GF4 Ti4400. The DVI resolution is 1024x768. Displayed at 1:1 there are black bars at the sides and the bottom is cut off a little (as you would expect) - Displayed at this resolution, the picture is crystal, but obviously doesn't fill the screen. Stretching the image out into the native resolution gives very little distortion - web pages are still easily readable from 4-5 metres, and DVDs look great, it's just a shame I can't output native from this card.

17. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

What you need to do is go to the menu and setup and fine sync and adjust the clock, phase and H and V pos and it will get rid of the vertical line to achieve a perfect picture.