1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using LCD monitors for Movies and TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by minty_fresh, Jun 12, 2005.

1. minty_fresh

minty_fresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have been contemplating the use of a LCD monitor as a Television but i have not really seen this done anywhere. by monitor i mean the kind generally sold for use with computers as opposed to a TV without a built in tuner. is there any reason this practice is uncommon? PC LCD's have very good resolutions and refresh rates (down to 8ms) and it would seem would make great TV's coupled with a HD set top box.
    also are LCD's natively progressive? i only see some advertised as such so am unsure.

thanks.

2. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im no expert, but it seems to me that an LCD monitor will only be suitable for PC use (ie mostly static imagery, not much call for true black). An LCD display which is to be used for TV will have circutry to improve viewing of material which is often fast moving and utilising a wide range of contrasts and colours.

That said, I suppose a fair few of the lower end, smaller screen LCD TVs are just monitors with tuner boxes.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The aspect ratio (4:3) of PC monitors does not lend itself to widescreen TV or movies. The refresh rate for TV use is not very important, since the frames of a TV picture are only refeshed every 20mS when fed from a TV tuner or DVD.

LCD screens do not scan progressively, so although they would accept a progressive input, little or nothing would be gained by feeding them this way.