Using LCD Computer Monitor with HDMI DVD Player

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by cubeconn, Sep 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. cubeconn

cubeconn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I was looking at getting the Benq FP222WH 22" TFT Monitor (1680x1050 700:1 300cd/m2 5ms DVI HDMI - would like the 24" but waiting for price to drop) and combine with say a Philips DVP5980 DVD Player (With 1080P Upscaling and HDMI) and connect via the HDMI and I don't want a TV tuner.

Will this idea work OK?

The Benq monitor is 16:10 ratio so will 16:9 widescreen films stretch slightly, and does anyone know what would happen if I watched a 4:3 ratio DVD? Lastly when upscaling, as it's 1050 pixels high, what happens if I tell the DVD to play 1080 - will I be only able to view 720?

I was just wondering if anyone here had a similar setup and the experiences they might of had, or someone who's more techincal than me and who may know the answers.

Cheers

Rob

2. flygti

flygti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Cant comment on the benq but I bought the 22" Samsung SM225MW monitor/tv from Argos for £249 and have viewed SkyHD through hdmi and it is very nice!

As a monitor it is excellent.

3. cubeconn

cubeconn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Thanks for the reply.

I'll probably try it and see what goes. If it doesn't work out I could do with a new PC monitor anyway! My main concern was viewing 4:3 i guess as being a monitor rather than monitor/TV I am thinking there is no option to change the aspect ratio.

Rob

4. ianjm

ianjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the 24" and use it as a PC monitor / bedroom TV.

If you get the latest firmware on the Benq, there is a 1:1 mode hidden in the menus you can activate that will display 1920x1080 as native with 60 pixel black bars on the top and bottom. I prefer this.

The new firmware was "brand new" when I bought the Benq last year (when they were still £700 :suicide:), so I'd imagine it'd be on all of them by now.

You're in luck as well because the Benq supports HDCP on its HDMI and DVI ports - although it wouldn't matter in this case really because HDCP is only important for watching Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Nice to be future proof, though.

5. flygti

flygti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Cubecon - the samsung being a tv and monitor allows you to change aspect ratio.
    4:3 16:9 wide zoom1 and zoom2