1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using just a TV as a display

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by annefromuk, Mar 27, 2003.

1. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was thinking of buying a new Small Form Factor PC, minus a Monitor, and then linking it to a TV.

Does anyone have any experience of this?, and would the PC be useable this way?

Also, as I will be buying the TV around the same time, is there any recomendations for any particular make/model that can be used in this way?

Regards
    Anne

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The short answer is no, not really. There have been more than a couple of threads on outputting to TV from PC very recently. Try a forum search and you'll see that it's probably OKish for non-text stuff. The 2 are just not compatible.

If it's an HCPC you're getting, or you already have one, why bother with a TV at all? For the cost of a new TV you could get yourself a very large monitor, and use that for both PC and home cinema, and still have change after buying a new PC, too.

I found myself in a similar position a short while ago and couldn't stretch to a plasma (or even a new w/s TV come to that!) so I eventually decided on a 1986 37" 4:3 multisync CRT monitor with remote control for £400 on eBay. You can get them for considerably less, but mine was in superb condition. I heard of one for £200 a few weeks ago from a dealer.

I get absolutely incredible TV with DScaler, DVD etc etc and the XP desktop is crystal clear at 1152x864 from the other side of the room. I can also use a direct connection from digital cable box/DVD player etc etc via either composite video, s-video or RGB if I need to and use the monitor's onboard stereo.

For me this is the ideal limited budget setup.