Using Itunes with NAS

Sy1441

My current set-up is

Macbook Pro
2 x Apple TV (running XBMC & Boxee)
Lacie Network Space NAS 1Gb + Lacie 1Gb connected via USB to the network drive.

My music is on the NAS at the moment and I can go in through Itunes and add the music to the library but it copies it onto my macbook.

How do I use Itunes without having duplications of the files ? Also the NAS appears as a device in Itunes but it gives me an error message about my firewall and ports when I select it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Sy

eximo

can change the default location in iTunes under advanced preferences. I think this should stop the duplicates.

Sy1441

can change the default location in iTunes under advanced preferences. I think this should stop the duplicates.
This didn't actually solve it but I found a box that said "copy files to Itunes music folder when adding to library" and this solved it so nice one!

Sy1441

Here's another question.

If i now create an itunes library on my macbook will I be able to use the apple tv's to stream music in itunes without the macbook being powered on ?

tinners

Novice Member
Here's another question.
If i now create an itunes library on my macbook will I be able to use the apple tv's to stream music in itunes without the macbook being powered on ?
Where is your actual library ? On the NAS ? If so and the NAS is running firefly then yes you can stream OK.

I run one library on my Windows Home Server with 3 itunes clients on my work laptop, my apple tv and my home PC.

The WHS also runs itunes so the apple tv can stream video, but again this runs against the one single library of actual music.

I have found it OK provided you remember to uncheck the "copy itunes music to library" and "keep folder organised" options. Then add new music / videos automatically by copying them to a folder in the itunes library then add that folder to itunes via the menu. It's a ball-ache doing it 3 or 4 times but it stops having to keep removing duplicates and dead tracks.

Last edited:

Sy1441

Where is your actual library ? On the NAS ? If so and the NAS is running firefly then yes you can stream OK.

I run one library on my Windows Home Server with 3 itunes clients on my work laptop, my apple tv and my home PC.

The WHS also runs itunes so the apple tv can stream video, but again this runs against the one single library of actual music.

I have found it OK provided you remember to uncheck the "copy itunes music to library" and "keep folder organised" options. Then add new music / videos automatically by copying them to a folder in the itunes library then add that folder to itunes via the menu. It's a ball-ache doing it 3 or 4 times but it stops having to keep removing duplicates and dead tracks.
Don't really want to have to update 3 separate library's, is there another way round this ?

DenzilTK421

I have just done something very similar to this.
I will reply later once I am home from work - please PM me if I have not done so.

DenzilTK421

Right - My setup is still work in progress, but this may help in some respect.
The first thing I wanted to do was move all the music from my laptop and external USB HDD to newly purchased Qnap NAS.
First thing I did was to copy all the files over to the new location, and then change the iTunes library location via the prefs>advanced option.
I then moved all the original file to a backup drive and removed this from the laptop. This resulted in iTunes showing all songs etc, but not being able to do anything as the file location was now incorrect. The trick was now to get iTunes to recognise the songs, and keep all the playlists / play counts etc (This is basically the reason I did this). I searched for ages and found the following...

HOWTO: Move your iTunes music while preserving library data (when you don't let iTunes manage your music library) &#8212 HiFi Blog

To have multiple users using the same library you need to set up some shortcut trickery. Basically make new folder on your NAS and move all the files from your iTunes folder (User>Music>iTunes) - You must however have alias' of all these files within your personal iTunes folder (and all those users you wish to share the library with). You'll have to make sure that the new folder with all the music in has read write access to all the users - otherwise they will not be able to add new files - the same is true for the library and xml files I think.

Having written this, I'm not sure that this is what you are after :oops: , but it might help.

I do not have Apple TV, and have no real idea as to how it works with or without iTunes, but I know that the Qnap as iTunes server installed, if you had that option Apple TV may be happy to use that - or I suppose you can just set you new library to be shared on the local network.

My mind has ceased to function now - but I'll have a bit more of a look for you if this is any help at all.

tinners

Novice Member
Don't really want to have to update 3 separate library's, is there another way round this ?
I now add to the library automatically via an app:
http://albumbrowser.klarita.net/itfw.html
On the Mac I use Dougs Applescript.
That way I just import CD / add the movies once to a file on the server then they are picked up automatically by the other machines. The itunes running on the server is the only one where the "copy to library" option is checked.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom