Using Itunes Purchases on Multiple Ipods

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Michael229, Jan 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Michael229

Michael229
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My wife has an ipod and I am about to get one also. I am going to create a new windows sign in so we have different itunes librarys. My question is if my wife buys an album from itunes could I also put it on my ipod. I am thinking the answer is no because then what would stop you buying an album and bringing all your mates round to put it on their ipods.

Would be grateful for advice.

2. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I believe there is a limit of 5 devices for which ITMS purchases can be authorised, so yes, you should be able to transfer your files to your wife's iPod and vice-versa. No idea how you do it, though!

3. ver

ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    yes its having the music on 5 pc/ laptops at once.

you can put them on more than one pc but not at 5 at one time. if you have it on 5 pcs and rebuild one, effectively you need it on a 6th one. (even though it isnt it counts as one of your allocated 5. You just need to de authorise the music before wiping the hardrive:smashin:

a couple of options for more than one ipod is:

1) separate logins (pointing to the same music folder on c drive
    2) one login separate playlists for second ipod (you can choose to sync ipod up to certain playlists
    3) separate Itunes music folder (this is pretty hard to explain and I havent got my head around this properly but when you load up itunes you can choose where to look for Itunes music folder so you can have it on a external hardrive)

4. pablo99

pablo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I would have thought you could do this. I mean give the album to every mate you had.

And of course you can give it to both you and your wife. Indeed if you want to bring your ipods to my place you can have all the music I have purchased on your ipods from my library.

I have four ipods all synced with the one PC and all with the same music and playlists. Everyone has their own windows login and all itunes point to the same location for the music folder. I don't know........but I would have thought there was no limit to the amount of ipods you can use with your music.

Spoken about already is the 5 PC limit which is different. You can play your purchased music on 5 different computers, (ours is on my main home PC, both kids laptops and my work PC.)

Back to my offer of all my music, just bring your ipod to me. Remember this will work, but before it puts all my music on your ipod it will delete all of yours first. So you can listen to my paid for tunes on the way home.

Then you will connent your ipod up to your own PC. And yep you've guessed it it will now delete all my music and put back on yours again. So no sharing of music took place from PC to PC. That you can't do.............at least not this way.

Hope this helps

Pablo