Using ipod via USB to car stereo

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Brooktop, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Apologies if you've read this in the mp3 forum, but I thought it might be worth posting it here too:

I've just installed a car stereo with USB in. I've connected my mini from the dock connector to USB. The sound is excellent and it charges the ipod. However - the mini just reads 'Do not disconnect' and although it outputs the sound, it plays in the same order each time I connect it. I can select 'Random' mode on the car stereo, but that obviously doesn't let me select a track. I can however FF to the next random track from the car's FF button. Is there a way of getting back the options via the ipod this way. It makes no difference if I have 'disk mode' enabled on the ipod or not.

2. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're using USB, the iPod is just acting as a disk, regardless of whether you have "disk mode" on the iPod or not. If you want to use the iPod controls, you'll have to get an iPod to RCA adapter and plug it into the stereo's aux in.

3. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Thanks - thought as much. I have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable as well - but going via the headphone jack gives an inferior signal and doesn't charge the ipod.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose! But I keep both cables in the car if I do feel the need to select a particular track.

4. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You want this:
    http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=5223-PDLS
    or your normal iPod dock.
    You'll have to persuade your head unit to ignore the iPod but still power it when you've selected AUX-in. If it won't do this, I've seen a "charge only" USB cable around. Or make your own with some careful surgery.

or just this:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...nt_Id=1&Section_Id=&pcount=&Product_Id=149006

Either way, the line level out on the dock connector will be much better quality than the headphone out.

5. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Thanks cjdshaw (is shaw your surname or are you from Shaw?)

Will have to see if they are available in the UK...but not sure I can justify the extra expense at the mo, as my solution is ok for the mostpart...but that might change if I get fed up hearing the same tracks :boring: