Using IPOD Classic with AEG Amplifier

chrisp

Standard Member
I have just bought an IPOD Classic (160GB) so that I can transfer my wifdes CDs.

The AEG only has Phono inputs so I have bought a 3.5mm jack plug to twin phono and used that to connect the IPOD to the amplifier through the headphone socket.

I have found that I need to have the amp turned up quite a bit to get a reasonable volume with the default headphone volume level.

I've looked through several posts both here and elsewhere and it seems that if the IPOD is connected direct to the amp via the headphone socket then it's not possible to get very much volume into the amp as the volume control on the IPOD only controls the headphone volume and it's best to have line out from a docking unit which gives better volume control.

Could someone tell me if this is correct?

If so can someone recommend if I should get the official Apple Universal Dock or are there better alternatives at reasonable cost?

Thanks

Peridot

Prominent Member
I'm not sure what you mean by the 'default headphone volume level' as the level will be related to whatever you set the volume control to.

I have a Classic and when connected to an external amplifier I can get a higher level from the headphone socket than from the line out connection (once I turn the iPod volume up to a reasonably high level).

What AEG unit are you connecting to?

chrisp

Standard Member
Hi, thanks for the reply.

My AEG is the AEG05 which has the AEG0p5 digital decoder i.e it's a home theatre system.

When I say the default headphone sound level I mean the one that is preset which is about midway on the scale.

I did try turning it up when testing a couple of tracks with the amp and when I turned it up to about three quarter volume I got a reasonable sound level from the amp although it still had to be set fairly high when compared to how I had it set for my CD player. However, it kept reverting back to the "default" level when I changed the track.

I am very much a novice with the Classic (being an old wrinkly) so need as much help as I can get. I believe there is a a way to permanently set the headphone socket volume level higher (it's unlikely my wife will want to listen through the headphones on their own) but haven't quite worked out what I need to do yet. I think one involves setting a code and the other doesn't.

As I say any help much needed and appreciated.

Will also need to figure out how to get my CDs onto the Classic and then arrange them in some sort of play list or other means so that my wife can play the songs she wants without scrolling through everything.

I'm sure it will be simple once I get the hang of things.

Peridot

Prominent Member
My AEG is the AEG05 which has the AEG0p5 digital decoder i.e it's a home theatre system.

Ahh, the fantastic Acoustic Energy system? I used to have one of these and wish I hadn't sold it on :(

When I say the default headphone sound level I mean the one that is preset which is about midway on the scale.

I did try turning it up when testing a couple of tracks ... However, it kept reverting back to the "default" level when I changed the track.

I'm still confused by this. The headphone output should stay at whatever level relates to the volume setting on the iPod. The iPod doesn't know it's connected to an amplifier rather than a set of headphones so it shouldn't change volume when tracks change. Are you perhaps accidently turning the volume down in the process of selecting another track?

As you suggest a dock with a line-out connection might be a neater solution in any case. The official ones are well-made as you would expect but there are other good third-party ones too. When I had the AEGO p5 system I used it with my earlier iPod and a dock without any difficulty.

I am very much a novice with the Classic (being an old wrinkly) so need as much help as I can get. I believe there is a a way to permanently set the headphone socket volume level higher (it's unlikely my wife will want to listen through the headphones on their own) but haven't quite worked out what I need to do yet. I think one involves setting a code and the other doesn't.

You can set a volume limit on the headphone output and a number code that's required before any changes can be made. It allows the maximum volume to be restricted to prevent kids damaging their hearing. If you haven't changed this limit it's probably best to leave it alone

Will also need to figure out how to get my CDs onto the Classic and then arrange them in some sort of play list or other means so that my wife can play the songs she wants without scrolling through everything. I'm sure it will be simple once I get the hang of things.

I assume you're using iTunes to load music onto the iPod? It should import your CDs automatically, getting the track names from the internet, and synchronise the iPod. You might want to play with the settings under 'Preferences' to get the quality you want as I think it still defaults to a heavily compressed setting.

You can create a playlist using 'File / New Playlist' - give it a name you want and then drag tracks (or whole CDs) onto it within iTunes. The next time you connect the iPod it will be copied across to it.

Good luck - it will all be come simple once you get used to it :)

chrisp

Standard Member
Hi peridot, thanks for the info.

Have been fiddling around and have now got the volume from the AEG to a level that my wife says is OK (a result).
Have also been playing about with the Classic & iTunes and beginning to work things out.

My wife is still asking me about having a remote control for the Classic. Looked on eBay (from thegamerschoice) New iPod Nano Classic Video Touch White iDock + Remote on eBay (end time 27-Nov-10 13:00:11 GMT) it was listed as having the following:

Colour White

Play your iPod or iPod Nano's music through your home stereo.

Watch Video's from your iPod on your big screen TV. (Video out only works with iPod Video).

Remote control with the following features..

Power On/Off

Volume Up/Down

Play/Pause

Fast Forward/Rewind

Previous/Next Track

Previous/Next Play list

Shuffle control

Repeat Control

Backlight On

Built in Docking Speaker On/Off

Dock connections feature USB connection (For Data Transfer), Composite Audio left, right and Video plus S-Video port. All cables are included.

AC Adapter Included. Charge you iPod while Docked.

Clear Perspex removable support bracket for your iPod.

Slot for Remote storage.

Built in Speakers (can be switched off/on)

but on closer look it wasn't compatible with the Classic.

Something like that would fit the bill I think.

Peridot

Prominent Member
Glad it's all coming together :)

There's a well-regarded alternative to the Apple dock/remote here.

Bit more expensive than the one you were looking at but you're assured of better quality and compatibility.

The latest video from AVForums

Tribit StormBox Blast Bluetooth Speaker: Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom