• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using iPhone to controll PS3, streaming only.

MolDog08

Standard Member
Hello Guys,

I know this may not be a new topic but I can't see a thread on it for around a year, so perhaps things have changed in that time.

I'm looking for help with a set up I want to install. Here's what I want to do.

Use my ps3 to stream music from my non vaio win 7 laptop. Easy, but I want to controll the music I listen to using my iphone, and without having to switch on my tv.

The only logical (sort of) thing I have come up with is to wire my ps3 to a 5.1 speaker system via optical out. Install remote play on my laptop with a patch to allow it to work as my laptop is Samsung. Then install a remote desktop on my iphone to controll said remote play.

I should mention that PS3 is hooked up to a wireless N router, as is everything else.

Has this got a hope in hell of working? If not is there an easier way? I could just buy Apple Airport but i'd rather make use of what I have.

Thanks in advance

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Seems to me you are unnecessarily complicating matters by introducing the PS3 into the equation...

Seeing as all your music is stored on a Laptop (a portable device) can you not just connect the laptop to your AMP and totally bypass the PS3.

You can then use one of the many Remote control apps for your iPhone to control the music output on the Laptop (iTunes remote/Winamp etc..)

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
I use my Android phone to control the music on my PC via wireless with an app called Unified Remote. Should be the same or similar available for Apple phones.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom