Using iphone as an alarm

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by Stampax, Jan 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi all. I want to start using my iphone as an alarm to replace my old old stereo (still has a cassette player in it!!!). So I'll buy one of the zillions of docks that are out there, but just wondering if it needs to have alarm functionality itself, or if this is unnecessary as the iphone itself has an alarm? Any advice or recommendations much appreciated?

Thanks

2. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19,750
    My very first Nokia came with an alarm and that was over a decade ago. The dock is to charge the phone, hold it vaguely vertical or amplify the sound to make it a bit more musical.

3. alan280170

alan280170
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    Unless your a very heavy sleeper, you don't need a dock, just stick it on your bedside table.:thumbsup:

4. MC77

MC77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I have a Sony Dream Machine ICF-CL75iP. I think their retail is silly money, like 140 quid, but I picked a new one up for 40 quid off eBay.

It's not what I'd call a decent stereo if that's what you're after, but it's loud enough, and you can watch videos on it :)
    Would definitely recommend on of these, and the dock allows for me to dock it with a case on my 4S.

[​IMG]

5. poppitypop

poppitypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Instead of getting a hardware dock you could get one of the zillion night stand alarm clock apps which work as proper alarm clocks. Some of them you can choose to wake up to buzzer or music and some have weather and all sorts of info on the screen.

6. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Sorry, should have explained myself a bit better - I am after one to double up as a music player as well (though its just for the bedroom, so doesn't need to be great).

7. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The Griffin Travel speakers will do this for you. They cost £25-£30 and run off the iPhone power so no mains supply needed (see the threads in the accessories sub-board). Sound isn't bose or sony but good for the money. No good for video as handset is held in portrait but should do the trick for a basic stereo/alarm function. The volume will definitely be loud enough.

8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
  9. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    I've had this one for a couple of years now :-
    Play.com - Buy Gear4 BlackBox 24/7 iPod Alarm Clock Radio online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Brother bought it me for xmas and i use it as an alarm clock either with radio or ipod depending on what mood i'm in and also use it as a music player if we have folk round etc. Just take it downstairs\outside as its nice and light. Sounds pretty good and also at night when sleeping the red numbers arent to bright as to be distracting.