Quantcast

Question Using iPhone 11 Pro as a Hotspot to stream

tasman

Hello. I am considering purchasing an iPhone 11 Pro Max and using EE for their unlimited data package. EE is the only decent provider of 4G where I live. As I am on a slow broadband connection as my village (or at least my street in my village) is still using ADSL, I was planning to pay more to get the unlimited data so that I could use the phone as a hotspot when I wanted to stream movies to my TV. My question is, what is the phone like for doing this? Have the internal aerials improved since the iPhone 7 (which is what I have now). I get decent enough 4G speeds on that but it drops significantly if I try to use it as a hotspot.

psychopomp1

I wouldn't really recommend using an iphone - even if its the latest & greatest - to replace your home router. Primarily because the wifi radios will be of a lower spec compared to those found in purpose built home routers. Using a wifi phone hotspot is ok for something like tethering your laptop to it when on the move.

I recommend getting home router such as this which you can put in any 4G sim card and use as a home router.

tasman

I wouldn't replace my home BB router with the iPhone. The rest of the family can continue to use that. I would just use the iPhone as a hotspot when I wanted to get high enough speeds to stream 4K movies or download or upload something quickly.

I wouldn't really recommend using an iphone - even if its the latest & greatest - to replace your home router. Primarily because the wifi radios will be of a lower spec compared to those found in purpose built home routers. Using a wifi phone hotspot is ok for something like tethering your laptop to it when on the move.

I recommend getting home router such as this which you can put in any 4G sim card and use as a home router.

psychopomp1

Fair enough, but just remember the Wi-Fi chipsets in smartphones are 2x2, any Wi-Fi clients 3x3 or above would be limited to 866 Mbps instead of 1300+ Mbps.

tasman

Lucky I waited to buy. Was about to purchase via Carphone Warehouse and they said they capped the speed of the EE unlimited plans to 10 mb/s!! Which is odd as if you go through EE directly they say they don't. It's a lot more expensive via EE so perhaps that is why.

BM08

Should work fine, we get very patchy 4G in our house, most of the time it’s 3/4 bars 3G on my XS Max, but I can still connect my tv to my phone and watch YouTube videos without the videos buffering/stopping to load. Your signal strength sounds like it’s much stronger than mine so you won’t have any issues

Steven

Senior Moderator
The above poster is theoretically correct about buying a mobile hotspot and SIM plan instead but in practice I sometimes hotspot to multiple devices via my Samsung note 4 on Vodafone without issue. I would not throw money at something else based on theory when there is every chance the hotspot with a smartphone will be fine

I would look up whether the unlimited plan has a fair usage clause. Amazon prime video used about 6gb data for around 1.5 to 2 hours streaming via hotspot the other day

tasman

The EE plan says that they "may" look at your usage if you do more than 1,000 GB in a month. Even watching in 4K I think that is probably a lot of movies. My concern is with any speed caps. Not much point having an unlimited plan if the speeds are capped. The EE website says they aren't yet Carphone Warehouse said they were (at least through them anyway).