1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using IPAQ as remote control

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Noel, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Guys,

Haven't posted for a while and I'm getting a little confused. Perhaps you can help?

I have an IPAQ 3630 which doesn't get much use. I noticed that PDAs can be used as universal remotes so I've done a bit of searching around and have come up with the following:

1) It looks like I need to buy the TV remote control software from PDAWIN. This seems to be popular and it can work with CCF files (I have a pronto and can just about use ProntoEdit!). This software can be downloaded for $14.95.

2) Then I may need the PDA-IR extender (if the range is poor without it) which seems to be available for around £25. Laser.com have a notice stating it's out of stock and when I phoned them I got the "no-one available to take your call" answering machine. Are Laser.com still around or does anywhere else stock these?

3) I don't have a CF jacket for my IPAQ and these seem to be around £80. Is this about the right price? It appears that this comes with an additional battery which will help. Will this also let me view photos from my digital camera (which has a CF card) or will I need additional software?

I think that's it. Sorry it got a bit wordy, thanks for your help in advance.

Noel

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can download a 30 day trial version of the software from PDAWin. If you've used Prontoedit does this mean you have a Pronto? If so you may as well continue to use that as the PDAWin is just a pronto emulator!

I used it for the trial and the IR worked ok on my tele at a distance of about 8 feet but you have to point it at the box. This can be difficult if you are a "laid back" viewer!
    You cannot see the screen at the same time to touch the correct button.

You shouldn't need additional software to view images.

Dave

3. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the quick response Dave. Yes, I have a Pronto but was thinking of buying another (or a Pro) for another room. This way it appears I get to cheat a bit! Does the plan make sense?

Cheers,

Noel

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it's a cunning plan!

Try the evaluation copy and see how it goes. You just use the config file from your Pronto and away you go!

Let me know what you think!

Dave

5. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Dave. I downloaded the trial (subseqently activated) version last night and uploaded a Pronto Pro CCF from Remote Central. Tweaked around with it a bit, and it's good. The range is quite poor, but I guess the CF jacket and IR extender will sort that out?

Is there any news on when the IR extender might be available? (Reading another thread it seems there are some probs with this).

Thanks again for your help, I have a feeling this could work out quite well.

Cheers,

Noel

6. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    The manufacturer of the ir extender has stopped production on it. I think laser are buying the rights to manufacture this but it could be some time before we see it.
    There is another ir extender available but I have forgotten the name of it. I will get back to you soon.

7. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    UltraMote Extender, you will need to buy their software before they will sell you the extender but it is not too expensive.

8. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Sandman. Is it a CF extender as it looks like that's the only way I can connect?

Cheers,

Noel

9. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
  10. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Sandman.

11. gaz.thomas

gaz.thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the ultramote cf extender with pdawin remote control on my ipaq 3630 and have had no problems whatsoever. Range and off-axis performance is excellent and the docking station acts as a stylish desktop charger.

Gaz
    -x-

12. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the responses guys. I have been playing around over the weekend and the remote seems to work OK just using the PDAWin software. I have to point the Ipaq more or less straight at the equipment, but it works on the first press from around 10 feet away for all my kit.

Looks like I have been lucky!

:D

Thanks again.