Using iPad2 for live performance

splinters69

Distinguished Member
I just bought a midi controller keyboard with a view to using the ipad live as a sound module. I have garageband and a few other apps but wondered if the sounds were actually good enough for this purpose. They sound good through phones but, as someone who always used hardware synths and workstations, i just can't get my head around this little bix of tricks competing with boards costing upwards of £1000. I dont want to program anything, just use electric pianos, pianos, synth pads etc.
Anyone tried this or know of the sample quality and polyphony of apps like garageband? Also what is the best apps for sounds over midi/usb for the ipad2 if not garageband?

BJQ1972

Try the Korg iMS-20, or nLog Synth for starters. You will need a camera connection kit to connect your keyboard to your ipad, and possibly a USB midi interface too.

Have you tried connecting the ipad to your amp with a 3.5mm to phono connector to see what your apps sound like played loud?

Also don't forget to mute the system notification sounds else you might get e-mail notification sounds etc during your performance.

Last edited:

splinters69

Distinguished Member
Cheers, already have the camera kit and all Korg apps. Have already played them from a midi keyboard. Through a home theatre system some garageband sounds are a bit bland, drums and piano especially but guitar is nice and clear.
I just bought a Roland A800 pro to run the apps but, either i am set up wrong, or there is a lot of note stealing going on. I cant seem to get more than 8 or so piano notes at one time and no other tracks.
Is this normal and are there any 'multi timbral' apps out there worth trying before i resign myself to buying a proper synth or workstation keyboard?

BJQ1972

I'm not sure any apps are multitimbral - I've not seen any midi channel change options on any of the apps I've had a look at. Polyphony seems to be limited on most apps. For example the MS20 I think is limited to 7 notes, isn't it?

splinters69

Distinguished Member
My delusions of the ipad as a sound source are dissolving. it is fun but won't cut it on stage so I bought a korg PS60 at a good price. Has sounds culled from the M3/M50 and performance features. 120 note poly and doubles as a controller keyboard. Just the ticket....now to sell on the Roland A800 pro I just bought....:rolleyes:

darkmavis

Try the Korg iMS-20 its ace.... i use it in my band..but then im a guitarist so i only use the kaoss pad feature.. the moog apps cool too

splinters69

Distinguished Member
Already said that i own all the korg apps. Love them but i am surprised at the note stealing in garageband hence i just bought a korg ps60. Has some killer sounds and a usb port so i can run the ipad off it.
Anyone wanna buy a Roland A800 pro?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom