• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using In Wall Speakers As Ceiling Speakers

leo79

Hi

Quick question, I have 3 X Monitor Audio Gold CPW GS In Wall Speakers, going to be used as LCR, and 2 x MA CPC BR Ceiling speakers, for surrounds.

Is there anything stopping me putting all 5 speakers in the ceiling?

Cheers

Leo

EDIT: Title should read Using In Wall Speakers AS Ceiling Speakers

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian J

Banned
I have M&K inwall speakers at ear level at the front but in the ceiling for the rears and it works very well.

I can't speak for using the fronts in ceiling as I've never heard them like that but I would have concerns that they might be too far from the screen as the dialogue needs to be tied to the screen

leo79

Hi Ian

Thats originally how I was goint to have them, the 3 in walls for the front and the 2 ceilings for the rears. However my better half had decided that she does'nt want the projector screen staying where it is (due to the direction of the joists I can't sink it in to the ceiling, so I was going to box it in)

So the screen is now being moved to the adjacent wall, where I can sink it in to the ceiling, This wall has a 6ft opening and will eventually have folding doors in place, so there is nowhere on the wall to put the speakers.

My only option is to go down the ceiling route but i am concerned that if the fronts are'nt at the same(ish) level as the screen then it might not sound to good.

Another option was to get some ceiling speakers with pivotal tweeter, but I really don't want to get rid of my CPW GS speakers.

Cheers

Leo

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
I have M&K inwall speakers at ear level at the front but in the ceiling for the rears and it works very well.

I can't speak for using the fronts in ceiling as I've never heard them like that but I would have concerns that they might be too far from the screen as the dialogue needs to be tied to the screen

How are you getting on with the new in-walls? Do they sound any different to you?

Bizarrely I've always found that - certainly initially - in-wall speakers installed correctly sound so impressive because they're so discrete (placebo effect I know).

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Hi

Quick question, I have 3 X Monitor Audio Gold CPW GS In Wall Speakers, going to be used as LCR, and 2 x MA CPC BR Ceiling speakers, for surrounds.

Is there anything stopping me putting all 5 speakers in the ceiling?

Cheers

Leo

EDIT: Title should read Using In Wall Speakers AS Ceiling Speakers

Can you angle the tweeters in any of those speakers? If you can't, I would suggest putting the fronts in the ceiling will result in a big compromise in sound quality, and you risk "detaching" everything from the screen. Angled tweeters can help in a big way to fool the listener...

leo79

Can you angle the tweeters in any of those speakers? If you can't, I would suggest putting the fronts in the ceiling will result in a big compromise in sound quality, and you risk "detaching" everything from the screen. Angled tweeters can help in a big way to fool the listener...

Unfortunately only the in ceilings have angled tweeters, the in walls don't and thats whats been concerning me.
I think I might have to put them up for sale and get some dedicated ceiling speakers.

Leo

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom